Pentax release two budget compacts
PENTAX Optio H90
A compact, lightweight, “no frills” digital compact camera,
packed with essential features
PENTAX U.K. is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX Optio H90 digital compact camera, combining a functional, no-frills design with essential user-friendly features – including a high-performance wide-to-telephoto 5X optical zoom lens, approximately 12.1 effective megapixels and a large, easy-to-view LCD monitor – all within a compact, lightweight body that fits comfortably in the photographer’s hand.
1. Impeccable design, derived from the pursuit of functionality
The Optio H90 sports a simple, functional design, with straight lines and easy-to-push round control buttons, efficiently positioned for easy access. High-quality aluminum alloy is used in the camera’s upper front section, while the entire lens barrel is coated with matte black paint; and the grip is shaped for a firm, comfortable hold.
2. Optical 5X zoom lens for wide coverage from wide angle to telephoto
Despite its compact dimensions, the Optio H90 features a high-performance optical 5X zoom lens covering focal lengths from 5.1mm to 25.5mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 28mm wide angle to 140mm telephoto). Thanks to this wide zoom range, the Optio H90 can be used for a wide variety of subjects and scenes – from spectacular landscapes, awe-inspiring architecture and group shots within confined spaces, to tightly cropped snapshots from a distance. When coupled with the Intelligent Zoom function – which allows for even tighter zooming in on the subject – the zoom range can be extended to approximately 31.3 times.
3. Exceptional image quality
Combining 12.1 effective megapixels with the PENTAX-developed high-performance imaging engine – assuring faithful colour reproduction – the Optio H90 delivers stunning, high-quality images with well-defined details. Even when images are enlarged to larger sizes, the user is assured of detailed, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
4. Large, easy-to-view LCD monitor
Despite its compact body, the Optio H90 features a large 2.7-inch high-brightness colour LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots. Large images and menus also allow quick access to the desired settings and adjustments.
5. High-quality HD-proportioned movie recording
The Optio H90 captures beautiful, high-definition-TV-quality movie clips (1280 x 720 pixels).* It also comes equipped with the sophisticated Movie SR (Shake Reduction) mode,** which automatically compensates camera shake during movie shooting with the help of exclusive software, making it possible for everyone to enjoy high-quality movie shooting with minimal effort.
* When the Optio H90’s AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output as normal-image-size data. If the user wishes to play back movie clips at high-definition-TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels), the data must be transferred to a personal computer for playback.
** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
6. Automatic face detection for effortless snapshots
The Optio H90 features the sophisticated Face Detection AF & AE function, a great tool for casual shooting. This user-friendly function instantly and accurately detects up to 32 faces in the image field, then optimises focus and exposure settings within a mere 0.03 seconds – even when some of the faces are tilted or turned sideways. The Optio H90 also comes equipped with other convenient features to assist the photographer in capturing beautiful snapshots, including: the Smile Capture mode that automatically releases the shutter the moment the camera detects the subject’s smile; and the Blink Detection function that warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes close at the time of shutter release.
7. Other features
1) Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) mode to effectively compensate for camera shake during still-image shooting
2) Auto Picture mode for automatic selection of one of eight shooting modes for optimum results
3) Digital filters, including Toy Camera and Retro, to add distinctive visual effects to recorded images
4) D-Range setting to prevent whitewashed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas in an image
5) Auto-tracking AF mode to keep constant focus on a moving subject
6) Digital Panorama mode to create a single panoramic picture from as many as three images
7) Digital Wide function to compose an extra-wide-angle picture (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 21mm lens in 35mm format) from two images
8) Frame Composite function (with 90 frames stored in the camera) to shoot or compose images with decorative photo frames
9) Image Recovery function to recover accidentally erased images
10) MediaImpression 2.0 for PENTAX software for image viewing, editing and filing (compatible with the latest operating systems, including Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6)
11) Eye-Fi connected: optimised for use with Eye-Fi wireless memory cards
PENTAX Optio E90
An entry-class digital compact camera, featuring an upgraded Smile Capture function and simple, user-friendly operation
PENTAX U.K. Imaging Systems Division is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX Optio E90 digital compact camera. Offering a host of convenient, user-friendly features – including an upgraded Smile Capture function that automatically and accurately detects and records the subject’s smiling face – this new entry-class model simplifies high-quality digital photography for everyone – even for new photographers.
1. Automatic face detection, with Smile Capture function to automatically detect the subject’s smile
The Optio E90 features an advanced Face Detection AF & AE function, which automatically detects the subject’s face, then optimises the focus and exposure settings. It also comes equipped with the Smile Capture function, which detects a smile on the subject’s face and releases the shutter at the right moment – all automatically.
2. Auto Picture mode for automatic selection of the ideal shooting mode
The Optio E90 features the PENTAX-original Auto Picture mode, which automatically and instantly selects one of eight shooting modes (Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Flower, Sport, Standard, and Candlelight) for a given subject or scene. Thanks to this user-friendly mode, the photographer can effortlessly capture beautiful, high-quality digital images of various subjects and scenes.
3. Comfortable, easy-to-hold grip
The Optio E90’s exterior has been treated with a non-slip rubber coating to prevent the camera from accidentally slipping out of the photographer’s hand. The right side of the front panel has also been slightly raised from the rest of the body to form a grip for a fatigue-free, firm and comfortable hold of the camera.
4. Powered by world-standard AA-size batteries
Because the Optio E90 uses two world-standard AA-size batteries, replacements can be found almost anywhere in the world, eliminating worries about unexpected battery shortage. Its highly energy-efficient design gives it the ability to take approximately 220 images* with a pair of fresh alkaline batteries.
* Based on measurement conditions conforming to CIPA specifications.
5. Green mode to assure easy push button shooting for beginners
With simple push button operation, the Optio E90’s user-friendly Green mode automatically selects the optimum combination of exposure settings, ISO sensitivity and other factors for a given subject or scene. This mode not only makes high-quality digital photography simple and effortless even for first-time digital photographers, but it also comes in handy when the photographer asks someone else to take his/her pictures, or when the user has simply lost track of camera settings.
6. Double anti-shake protection to prevent camera shake and subject shake in unfavorable conditions
1) High-Sensitivity anti-shake mode
When the Optio E90 detects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, it automatically raises the sensitivity to as high as ISO 1600, making it possible to use a higher shutter speed. This effectively minimises the adverse effects of camera shake and subject shake under poor lighting conditions.
2) Movie SR mode**
During movie recording, the Optio E90 prevents blurry images by digitally minimising annoying camera shake through the use of exclusive software.
** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
7. Digital filters to add personal, creative touches to recorded images
The Optio E90 comes equipped with six digital filters to add various visual effects to recorded images without needing a computer. In addition to the conventional Monochrome and Sepia filters, the Optio E90 offers the new Starburst filter, which creates cross-, heart- or star-shaped highlights from nighttime illuminations or reflections on the water. The user can even apply multiple filters to a single image.
8. Digital Panorama mode to compose extra-wide-perspective images
The Optio E90 features the creative Digital Panorama mode, which automatically creates a single panoramic picture from as many as three images. All the photographer has to do is follow simple instructions displayed on the LCD monitor and move the camera sideways (or up and down). This mode comes in extremely handy when shooting expansive subjects, such as spectacular landscapes or high-rise buildings, which cannot be captured in a single standard-format image.
9. Exceptional image quality with approximately 10.1 effective megapixels
Coupling approximately 10.1 effective megapixels with the high-performance PENTAX zoom lens, the Optio E90 delivers brilliant, high-quality images with well-defined details. Even when images are enlarged to bigger sizes, the user is assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
10. Optical 3X zoom lens covering angles as wide as 31.5mm
The Optio E90 comes equipped with an optical 3X zoom lens covering focal lengths from approximately 31.5mm to 94.5mm (in the 35mm format). Its 31.5mm wide-angle coverage is particularly handy when in a confined space but photographing breathtaking landscapes, magnificent structures or group snapshots. Coupled with the Intelligent Zoom function, which allows even tighter zooming in on the subject without compromising image quality, the user can extend the zoom range to approximately 17.1 times.
11. Other features
1) Large 2.7-inch, high-brightness colour LCD monitor with approximately
230,000 dots for comfortable viewing of images and menus
2) Recording of beautiful movie clips (640 x 480 pixels) almost equal in
quality to those recorded by a video camera
3) World-time function to keep track of local time for 75 cities in
28 time zones around the world
4) Image recovery function to retrieve accidentally erased images
5) High-speed continuous shooting mode to record 16 images
(fixed at 640 x 480 pixels) in a mere two seconds
6) MediaImpression 2.0 for PENTAX image viewing, editing and
filing software included (compatible with latest operation systems,
such as Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6)