Pentax RS1000 announcement
PENTAX Imaging Systems Division is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX Optio RS1000 digital compact camera. It allows the user to customize the front panel design in a variety of ways to meet their style, or to suit a particular occasion. Positioned as a standard model, the Optio RS1000 offers high-resolution images produced by approximately 14 effective megapixels, a large 3.0-inch LCD monitor, a high-performance 4X optical zoom lens covering 27.5mm wide angle, a simple, user-friendly operation, and a HD video function. Encased in a lightweight, credit-card-sized body, it is compact enough to carry anywhere for every occasion. It also offers a unique body design customization feature, which allows the user to set in one of three included “dress-up” sheets, or any other material of the user’s choice – such as photographs or illustrations – between the body and a transparent front panel. This feature gives the Optio RS1000 unique versatility and flexibility unlike other models: The user can match the camera’s appearance with their fashion or mood of the day; it makes a perfect gift or promotional tool to mark a special.
1. PENTAX-original Face Change System for personalized designs The Optio RS1000 features a removable transparent acrylic panel at the front of the main body frame. Simply by setting a dress-up sheet between the camera body and this panel, the user can easily and totally change the camera’s appearance. In addition to the three Alternative Skins included, the user can also use the Tracing Stencil (included) to produce original dress-up tools using photographs, posters, hand-drawn illustrations and other sources, and create a one-of-the-kind original camera. The camera’s front face also sports a fine spindle finish, either in black or in white, to assure an elegant appearance when no dress-up sheet is used.
2. Exceptional image quality Featuring approximately 14 effective megapixels assuring exceptional image resolution, a state-of-the-art imaging engine with superior noise reduction and the high-performance smc PENTAX optical zoom lens, the Optio RS1000 delivers brilliant, high-quality images with well-defined details. Even when images are enlarged to large sizes, the user is assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
3. Large, easy-to-view 3.0-inch LCD monitor Despite its compact body, the Optio RS1000 features a large 3.0-inch high-brightness color LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots. Since this monitor provides large, detailed images and menus, the user can check them with just a quick glance, and easily and instantly make the desired settings and adjustments.
4. Optical 4X zoom lens with 27.5mm wide-angle coverage The Optio RS1000 comes equipped with a high-performance 4X optical zoom lens covering focal lengths from 4.9mm to 19.6mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 27.5mm wide angle to 110mm telephoto). Thanks to this wide zoom range, the Optio RS1000 can be used for a wide variety of subjects and scenes – from spectacular landscapes, majestic architecture and group shots within confined spaces, to tightly cropped snapshots from a distance. When coupled with the Intelligent Zoom function, which allows for even tighter zooming in on the subject, the zoom range can be extended to approximately 26.8 times.
5. Auto Picture mode for hands-off selection of the most appropriate shooting mode The Optio RS1000 features the new-generation Auto Picture mode, which automatically selects the most appropriate shooting mode for a given subject or scene by accurately assessing various photographic conditions. This user-friendly mode instantly and unfailingly selects one of the 15 shooting modes (eight conventional modes, plus seven new modes including Blue Sky and Sunset) and optimizes various camera settings, including sensitivity and shutter speed, to assure the best results with minimal effort by the photographer.
6. Automatic face detection for beautiful, lively snapshots The Optio RS1000 features the sophisticated Face Detection AF & AE function, which instantly and accurately detects human faces within the image field, then optimizes focus and exposure settings – all automatically. The Optio RS1000 also comes equipped with other convenient features to assist the photographer in capturing beautiful, lively snapshots, including the Smile Capture that automatically releases the shutter the moment the camera detects the subject’s smile, and the Natural Skin mode that captures subjects with smooth, healthy skin tone.
7. High-quality HD-proportioned movie recording The Optio RS1000 captures beautiful, high-definition-TV-quality movie clips (1280 x 720 pixels).* It also comes equipped with the sophisticated Movie SR (Shake Reduction) mode,** which automatically compensates camera shake during movie shooting with the help of exclusive software, making it possible for everyone to enjoy high-quality movie shooting with minimal effort. * When the Optio RS1000’s AV output terminal is used, movie clips are output as normal-image-size data. If the user wishes to play back movie clips at high-definition-TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels), the data must be transferred to a personal computer for playback. ** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
8. An assortment of digital filters for creative expression The Optio RS1000 offers nine different digital filters, including Toy Camera, Retro and Sepia, to add various visual effects to recorded images without requiring a computer. The user can even apply multiple filters to a single image for more inventive visual effects.
9. Other features
(1) Digital Blur Removal function to effectively compensate for camera shake during still-image shooting
(2) Burst Shooting at a speed of 16 images in two seconds (fixed at 640 x 480 pixels)
(3) Auto-tracking AF mode to keep constant focus on a moving subject
(4) Digital Panorama mode to effortlessly create a single panoramic picture from as many as three images
(5) Green mode to automatically optimize exposure and sensitivity settings for a given subject or scene
(6) Frame Composite function (with 20 frames stored in the camera) to shoot or compose images with decorative photo frames
(7) MediaImpression 2.0 for PENTAX software for image viewing, editing and filing applications (compatible with the latest operating systems, including Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6)
10. PENTAX Chameleon’s Minisite: http://chameleon.pentax.eu/
Starting from the 9th of September, you will find in english:
The software, so you can create or download your own designs and print them
A gallery of suggested skins
The demo for the customization
A small movie showing Nadia with her PENTAX Chameleon throughout her day
Games, starting in October/November