After much speculation, Nikon have announced their latest update to the DSLR range in the form of the D3100. This is an update on the previous D3000, the highly popular entry-level model and adds a host of new features. The sensor is a new 14.2MP CMOS variety and pairs with a new powerful EXPEED 2 processor, delivering an ISO range of 100-3200, expandable up to 12,800 for low light shooting. The camera also includes Live view, with face recognition of upto 35 faces at a time, and HD video at full 1080P. The Live view now offers a new AF-F and Scene Auto Selector, while autofocus now features 11 selection points for faster focusing. On the rear is a 3in LCD monitor that displays not onl the shooting information and image review, but also Nikon’s popular Guide mode, a virtual manual to help new user learn more about their camera. There is also in-camera editing, and the new ViewNX2 software comes in the box for post processing.
The Nikon D3100 will be available at the end of September, priced £499.99 body only, or £579.99 with 18-55mm VR lens. For more information visit www.nikon.co.uk
- DX-format, 14.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor: The high pixel sensor will give you outstanding colour and detail in pictures and movies you’ll want to see again and again
- New EXPEED 2 image processing engine: Provides enhanced movie recording, high-sensitivity performance and maximum image quality. EXPEED 2 maximises CMOS sensor performance for clear, lifelike images that exhibit vivid colours, reduced noise and smooth tonal gradations for outstanding photos and movies
- High ISO (100-3200) sensitivity: Extendable up to 12800: Indoor shots or fast-moving children need never be blurry or dull again, even without a flash
- Guide Mode: Simply the easiest way to learn how to get great pictures, without having to read the manual
- D-Movie – full HD (1920 x 1080) at 24 fps movie clips: Record beautiful HD movie clips with sound and achieve exceptional image quality with high ISO sensitivity. NIKKOR lenses can be used for cinematic effects and simple edits can be made in-camera. In addition, HDMI connectivity means you can watch your HD movies on an HD television
- Live View with new AF-F mode and Scene Auto Selector: The new Live View provides an intuitive and familiar way of taking pictures and it includes a Scene Auto Selector, which automatically selects the best mode to match the scene. The AF-F mode keeps subjects in focus without the need to press the shutter release button
- 7.5 cm (3-inch) monitor: A great platform on which to share your beautiful images and movies with friends and family
- 11-point autofocus system: The quick and accurate autofocus ensures everything is in focus so you get the sharpest image
- Active D-Lighting: Bright sunshine need never wash out detail again. The balance of light and shade can be preserved forever
- Picture control: Lets you set the look and mood of your images before you shoot. You can choose from six settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Monochrome, Portrait and Landscape
- In-camera image and movie editing: Why wait for a PC? Retouching, filter effects and red-eye correction can be achieved in the palm of your hand
- Compact, light and durable: It’s the smallest and lightest Nikon D-SLR yet so you can sling it over your shoulder, ready for any picture or movie moment. Also, with improved ergonomics, you’ll now have direct access to shutter release, Live View and movie modes.
- Dual Integrated Dust Reduction System: Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control systems keep dust away from the camera’s image sensor for clear, spot-free images
- New software, ViewNX2 will be bundled with the D3100: It inherits the basic operations of ViewNX whilst providing much enhanced operability, including a refined GUI, and a range of easy-to-use features allowing you to edit photos as well as movies
Nikon D3100 – Specification
Specification for Nikon D3100
- 14.2 megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor delivers lifelike images with vivid colors, reduced noise and smooth tonal gradations.
- EXPEED 2 image processing engine provides enhanced movie recording, high-sensitivity performance and maximum image quality.
- High ISO (100-3200) light sensitivity – extendable up to 12800: features an Auto ISO setting and is manually extendable up to ISO 12800 using the Hi2 setting. Enables faster shutter speeds, significantly reducing the risk of blurred images when you shoot fast-moving subjects or take pictures in low light.
- GUIDE mode: quick and easy-to-use in-camera assistance. Asks you about the picture you want to take and automatically optimizes settings for superior results. Sample images appear on the display to show you what will happen to your image if you apply the suggested settings.
- D-Movie – full HD (1920 x 1080) movie clips: record beautiful high-definition (HD) movie clips with sound. The camera’s large image sensor and high ISO sensitivity offer exceptional image quality. NIKKOR lenses can be used to obtain cinematic effects and you can make simple edits of your clips in-camera by deleting scenes or saving specific frames as still images.
- Live View with Scene Auto Selector: makes it easy to compose images using the LCD monitor. Scene Auto Selector will select the best mode for the scene and subject you want to capture, and Fulltime servo AF (AF-F) mode keeps subjects in focus without the need to press the shutter release button.
- Large 7.5 cm (3-inch), high-resolution LCD monitor makes it easy to view essential camera information, and a pleasure to review and edit your photos and movies.
- Razor-sharp 11-point Autofocus system offers fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame. Four AF-area modes, including 3D-tracking AF, deliver sharp results, whether your subject is off-center, moving fast or completely unpredictable.
- Active D-Lighting automatically retains details in highlights and shadows for stunning images with natural contrast.
- Picture Controls lets you set the look and mood of your images before you shoot. Choose from six settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Monochrome, Portrait and Landscape.
- Extensive in-camera editing functions let you edit and enhance images and movies in the camera. Offers techniques such as Red-Eye Correction and Quick Retouch, as well as a range of Filter Effects.
- Dual Integrated dust reduction system: Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control systems keep dust away from the camera’s image sensor for clear, spot-free images.
- Lightweight body and superior ergonomics: a secure grip makes the camera comfortable to handle. Dedicated controls for frequently used functions like Live View, D-Movie and shutter release make it a joy to operate.