Canon has announced a successor to its popular G10 camera, the PowerShot G11.
In contrast to the 14.7MP sensor of the G10, the new model features a 10MP CCD sensor. Together with a new Dual Anti-Noise system and DIGIC 4 image processing, Canon claims the new camera improves noise performance by up to two stops, compared to the PowerShot G10.
As with the G10, the new model offers a 5x wideangle zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent) with optical Image Stabilisation, and a built-in ND filter for long exposures.
The new camera can shoot in both Raw and JPEG formats, with the supplied Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software allowing users to process the camera’s files.
Sensitivity is offered from ISO 80-3200, though this may be extended to ISO 12,800 at a reduced resolution of 2.5MP using the Low Light mode.
In terms of exposure, the user has the choice of Auto, Program, Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority options, in additions to a manul mode and a handful of scene presets. There are also Stitch Assist and Low Light modes available, as well as a movie mode which records at 640 x 480 at 30fps.
The model also sports a new vari-angle 2.8in PureColour II LCD screen with a 461,000dot resolution, and i-Contrast technology to balance images shot in difficult conditions.
As with the G10, the camera accepts both SD and SDHC media, while the hotshoe allows the user to mount external Speedlite flashguns, such as the recent 270EX model.
Details of pricing and availability are yet to be made available. For more information visit www.canon.co.uk
Key Specifications at a glance
- 10mp, 1/1.7” CCD sensor
- DIGIC 4 processor with iSAPS technology
- 28-140mm (equiv) f.2.8-4.5 optical zoom
- Image Stabilisation (Shift type)
- 2.8 inch, 461k, PureColor II vari-angle LCD
- Real Image zoom, optical viewfinder
- 9 point AiAF with single focus point selection
- Evaluative, centre-weighted or spot metering
- ISO 80-3200 plus Low Light mode (ISO 12,800)
- Shutter speeds 15 – 1/4000sec (varies by mode)
- iContrast intelligent contrast correction
- 22 Scene modes, plus Smart Auto
- Full PASM manual exposure modes
- JPEG or RAW + JPEG recording
- 640 x 480 movies at 30fps
- Dimensions: 112.1 x 76.2 x 48.3 mm
- Weight 355g
Watch our hands-on video preview: