The new model features a 14.6MP CMOS sensor, measuring in at 23.4mm by 15.6mm, and featuring a high-speed, four-channel image data read out. Said sensor boasts an ISO range of 100 to 6400, with the highest setting offered through a custom function.
The K-7 is also the latest DSLR to offer full HD video capture. Video is captured at 1280 x 720 pixels and at 30fps, while also boasting an HVMI terminal and external microphone input. The K-7 also features a 3in LCD screen, offering a 920k dot resolution, placing it amongst the top in its class in that area.
Another highlight for the K-7 is the speed of its continuous shooting. The model is capable of capturing at approximately 5.2 fps for up to 40 shots.
The K-7 features a optical viewfinder offering an approximately 100% field of view, and featuring a new Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen to improve focusing accuracy during manual-focus operation.
The K-7 also sees three new and updated features in order to aid image capture. The first being a newly developed DR (Dust Removal) II system, aimed at limiting dust spots and even alerting users prior to capture as to the presence of dust on the filter.
Secondly, the K-7 also features a new PRIME II imaging engine, offering greater processing speeds, richer gradation in images and more accurate colour rendition.
Finally, the K-7 sees both new metering and autofocus systems. The model now boasts an 11-point wide-frame AF sensor (with nine cross-type and two wide points) while a 77-segment, multi-pattern metering system improves light metering, claim Pentax.
The K-7 also features a HDR function, allowing the creation of one composite image in camera from three images of different exposure. The K-7 also features dynamic range expansion functionality to help compensate for over- or under-exposed areas
We managed to get our hands on a pre-production model and check out below for a full video preview.
The K7 will be available from late June/ early July
Body only £1,199.99
With kit lens (18-55mm) £1,229.99
With double kit lens 18-55mm + 50-200mm £1329.99
Scroll down for Specs summary...
Video first look of the Pentax K7
Pentax K-7 top view
Pentax K-7 profiles
• 14.6 effective megapixels APS-C sized CMOS sensor
• ISO 100-3200 (extendable to ISO 6400)
• Stainless-steel alloy frame and magnesium-steel alloy body
• Smallest and lightest in its class (670g without battery)
• Dustproof, weather and cold-resistant down to -10°C.
• Optical viewfinder featuring approx. 100% field of view
• 3.0-inch hi-res LCD monitor with approx 920,000 dots
• Continuous shooting at approx. 5.2 frames per second
• New DR II dust reduction to minimise dust spots
• Newly developed PRIME II imaging engine
• 77-segment multi-pattern metering
• Next-generation SR (Shake Reduction)
• Live View with Contrast AF and Face Recognition AF
• HD Video recording at up to 1536 x 1024p,30fps with ext. Mic input
• 11-point wide-frame AF sensor
• 16 Digital Filters for visual effects
• Sensitivity-Priority and Shutter/Aperture-Priority mode
• High-capacity battery for up to 980 images per charge
• HDR (high dynamic range) function
• Dynamic-range expansion function
• Electronic level indicator
• Auto compensation of distortion and chromatic aberration
• Multi-exposure function, with a super-imposition of already-recorded
• Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images
• RAW button for single-action switching of image file format
• Optional Battery Grip D-BG4
For a full specification head on over to the Pentax website.