Thread: What lens?

Images

Default What lens?

I have a 650d which came with an 18-55 IS lens, I am looking to buy a telephoto lens. Still a beginner and not sure what is best as there seem to be so many lenses available.

A quick look on Ebay shows
    EF -S 55-250 F/4 -5.6 Mk11 119
    EF 75 - 300 F/4 - 5.6 III 109
    EF 80 - 200 F/4.5 - 5.6 II
    EF 70 - 300 F/4.0 - 5.6 18 USM
    Sigma 70 - 300 F/4 - 5.6 DG Macro 93

Can all these lenses be very different? or will they basically do the same job? Are they just cheap lenses that dont compare to a 1000 zoom lens ?

A little confused with all the choice!......
    Thanks

Images

hi here my take stay away from the canon 75-300 its not a good lens
    of the rest the canon 55-250 really scores in the iq stakes. it has a plus as it takes the same size filters as your 18-55 so that good also. are they as good as L series no but some do perform well

Images

Thanks for that, have ordered it from Ebay awaiting arrival. ( I did some more research on this lens and yes your right it does come up trumps in the polls!)
    Can I ask - you mention the filters, should I use a UV filter all the time? is there any dissadvantage in leaving it on? and will it effect the picture taken?
    Regards

Images

as long as it it is a good quality filter then its fine to leave on

As stated the 55-250mm IS II is the best in that bunch, its image quality is excellent (my wife uses one) for the price it shoots well above its station only let down by all the plastic and slow focusing but you can get round it, The wife got some craking photos at waddington airshow a few weeks back. I had a go comparing it to my 70-200mm f4L and the images were not too far behind but as i said it focusing is slower. I dont use filters as they will to some degree affect IQ if your using it to protect the lens get the proper lens hood that suffient to protect it

great value for the money

Images

Thanks, I have now had the lens for several months and glad I bought it , I would recommend it - for the price range and my begginner skill levels it is more than adequate .