I need to scan about 300 colour 35mm slides that are around 30 years old. They still seem fine although many seem a little dark and need colour restoring. Maybe this is how they've always been, I don't know.

I'm trying to find out if it's worth scanning them myself with an Epson Perfection V750 Pro A4 Flatbed Scanner 6400 x 9600 dpi that I bought for just 240 or use a professional service that uses a machine like the Nikon Super Coolscan LS 5000 ED.

Can someone please confirm if there will be a big difference in the quality between the two? I know this answer may seem obvious but I posted a few slides as samples to someone offering the service but wasn't impressed by the results. Having said that, it was a few years ago and I think the person was more semi-professional.

The results from the Epson seem okay and at least I have the option of tinkering with the settings but I have no benchmark to compare them with. I'm worried that if I use a service then many may come back unsatisfactory since they need special attention compared with others.

Would it help if I uploaded a couple of results from the Epson? However, if that's okay what resolution is recommended to scan a slide that is to be used to put them on a disc for a member of family to view them on a PC or HDTV? I can scan from 300dpi to 4000dpi.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.