Default Compact Camera for skiing??

I'm looking at replacing my Ixus 40, however I can't seem to find anything on the market that has most of the following? I have an EOS 30D but like to have a compact for taking skiing, mountain biking etc, hence the need for an optical viewfinder and large zoom!

Does anyone know of anything in the works?

Must haves:

1) optical viewfinder or LCD that shows the 'live' picture in burst mode, ie so I can track a fast moving object in continous shooting mode
    2) At least 2fps
    3) decent zoom (up to 200mm equivalent at least) and ideally a wideangle of at least 28mm equivalent
    4) optical zooming while filming
    5) image stabilisation

Nice to have:

HD video
    Last edited by kitenski; 03-02-10 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
    I'm looking at replacing my Ixus 40, however I can't seem to find anything on the market that has most of the following? I have an EOS 30D but like to have a compact for taking skiing, mountain biking etc, hence the need for an optical viewfinder and large zoom!

Does anyone know of anything in the works?

Must haves:

1) optical viewfinder or LCD that shows the 'live' picture in burst mode, ie so I can track a fast moving object in continous shooting mode
    2) At least 2fps
    3) decent zoom (up to 200mm equivalent at least) and ideally a wideangle of at least 28mm equivalent
    4) optical zooming while filming
    5) image stabilisation

Nice to have:

HD video
    Canon, at least for a while, moved away from the vari-angle LCD screen, though it has resurfaced recently. The G11 and SX20IS are two current models in Canon's range, with performance and quality beyond your current IXUS. However, the price is also equally amplified, as is the physical size of these cameras, so it's a play off between how much this matters to you really. In my opinion the G11 is the favourite; I'd rather buy a Sony HX10 over the Canon SX20IS. However the G11 is a 28-140mm, whereas the other two are 28mm wide to somewhere around 500mm long. Should satisfy your six points though, price ignored.
    Last edited by Mike Lowe; 04-02-10 at 01:28 PM.

thanks Mike,

Funnily enough I was just measuring up the G11, and came to the conclusion it wouldn't fit inside a ski jacket pocket once you added in some form of case for a little extra protection.

I think it's the same with the Sony HX-1, for that size I may as well take my SLR (which I am trying to avoid doing)

I was just reading about the Nikon S8000 which if the LCD stays 'live' whilst tracking a subject may well be one to consider...

cheers,

Greg