Default Beginer which Nikon

I retire this summer and will be doing more travelling, including Antarctic, and plan to buy my first SLR for scenery, landscape and wildlife etc, currently use a Panasonic compact TZ5. I was going to buy the D90, but as I am not bothered about video, wonder if a second hand D300 would be better as more robust and weather proof. Would it be too complicated for a novice
    to use and should I stick to my original plan of a D90 which would be cheaper.

Images

Default stick to your plan

The D300 is a professional camera , it is a more advanced camera that i only recommend if you allready have a advanced knowledge of dslr and photography .

i would recommend the D90 with good glass instead of a d300 with basic lenses

if you want to buy a non video dslr that is cheaper go for the D80 like i am going to do too

Not to say that a novice should not get a d300, but i always say is better a simple good body and top glass (lenses) than a top body with average kitlenses.

dirk (aka nikonian)

Default Beginer Which Nikon

Thanks having had a closer look at the D90 and 300 side by side, I am going for the D90 which is clearly a much more capable camera than I am a photographer, in the unlikley event of my out growing it in the future then I will trade up to higher spec. If I buy two lenses to start with any advice on the best two, mid price range.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pfwiley View Post
    I retire this summer and will be doing more travelling, including Antarctic, and plan to buy my first SLR for scenery, landscape and wildlife etc, currently use a Panasonic compact TZ5. I was going to buy the D90, but as I am not bothered about video, wonder if a second hand D300 would be better as more robust and weather proof. Would it be too complicated for a novice
    to use and should I stick to my original plan of a D90 which would be cheaper.
    I'd pick up the D300 every time, especially if you're not fussed about the video. The D300 is an exceptional camera for a variety of tasks. I wouldn't worry about complexity as both these DSLRs have manuals that can help walk you through the features. It'll take a bit of time, but I'm sure that'll be part of the pleasure of your retirement; figuring it all out, getting the most from your equipment through experience and, importantly, having fun taking pictures.

Images

Default shure ..

Let's face we man almost never read a manual because we are suppossed to get it the first time . Well reading manuals can be fun and i experienced that training dvd's are the best way to get it real quick an easy

in fact the d90 isn't that too much different like a d300

so nu matter what you buy , you have to be one using it , it has to feel right and a natual touch

Images

I think video on a DSLR has no relevance to wether you should purchase it unless it is something you require, mine has video but I don't even know how to use it.
    The D300 or D300s is a good travel camera due to the weather proofing but can also be heavier than the cheaper cameras due to the magnesium inner frame so you need to weigh up the pros and cons.
    With regards to image quality I don't think there is anything between the D90 and D300/D300s so you can make quite a saving if you buy the D90, the extra money can buy more lenses or equipment.

Or you could get the D5000 which is as good as the D90 as it shares the same innards.But it does not have an inbuilt focus motor which is what you are paying the extra for with the D90. As you are buying new lenses and are not already owning non auto focus lenses this wont be an issue. Plus you will get the swivel LCD which is quite useful for awkward shots.

Talking ? D90 and D300

Hi all
    Discussion about the D90 and D300 can be simple to debate about options and how much you're willing to pay for these options.

The most importen is to find out, which kinds of pictures you like to take for now and 2-3 years from now, and then dig through internet to find the camera that meet your needs. You have to do the advantages and disadvantages analyses for yours self.

Can you images, what can happen if I ask which camera brand is the best, canon or Nikon.

The samme picture is the same here.

We all have the same passion, Is to get the picture, and how we are going to get it, are something every men or women have to dig for them selves. There are no easy way.

Best regards