Default Which camera do I choose???

Hi, I'm sure this will have been covered so many times but I need help!!! I am new to the DSLR, I have when I was younger used a 35mm SLR but since then only used a digital compact and now want to move back into the world of DSLR's.

My dilemma is, I have researched now to the point of being totally unsure which model to go for. I have narrowed it down to the Canon EOS 1000d and the Nikon D3000, both are similar in price and spec but I'm just not sure which one to go for.

The Canon feels good in the hand but does look a little on the plastic side whereas the Nikon looks and feels a well made solid camera. Picture quality is very similar, the Canon has 7 AF points the Nikon 11, and basically I can go on with the pros and cons.

One of my main concerns is that the Nikon comes with the VR lens and the Canon is non IS, however I have seen a few for sale with the IS but they seem to have disappeared.

Any help would be much appreciated for a newbie wanting to start this hobby again.

Many thanks

Craig.

Images

It really depends on what you want to spend, and what you want it for

in my opinion....lol

From the price of the 1000d being 330+ new i assume you are looking for a camera for around the 300-400 mark?.

If this is the case, i would personally save another 150.00 and buy the k20d from pentax at argos online with a kit lense.

however the k10d is a very good camera and will do you justice, untill you hone your skills abit more,
    this comes in at around 499.99 new, you will probably find it cheaper if you look hard enough.

i purchased this model as my first digital slr, and i really couldnt complain at all.

it will last ages and be a faithfull camera to you,as its iron clad, and very comfy.

lenses are not that expensive compared to nikon or canon also.

but the two camera's you mention are good cameras anyway, i can only go on what i know personnaly, but its good to have a quality bit of kit to make the learning process enjoyable rather then disapointing, as i found compacts restrictive and lower end digi's the same.

Just remember you get what you pay for, and i found the quality of pentax to be outstanding, but you will find the same with other manufacturers.

not convinced? then go with the nikon as its what i would choose now seeing the specs, and nikon glass is ace, and very clear.
    Last edited by shaun2k; 21-01-10 at 12:04 AM.

Davy,

I see you also posted this question in the http://www.whatdigitalcamera.co.uk/f...read.php?t=663 section, and I answered it there.
    Our main feature in our next issue (which comes out tomorrow) is a head to head between these two cameras so you might want to buy a copy.