Hybrid View

Unhappy Panasonic TZ7 - where am I going wrong?

Hi

I recently bought one of these (TZ7) after reading rave reviews but so far have been really disappointed with some of the photographs I have taken indoors.

At this stage let me admit that I reckon the problem is down to me rather than the camera as I am a complete novice.

Basically I use the 'Intelligent Auto' setting and when the subject is at relatively close range, indoors, the results are fabulous. However (particularly in low light)when I use the zoom feature the results are grainy and blurred and I just don't know where I'm going wrong. Recent examples were when I was at a concert and, granted, the subject was moving a lot and yesterday I attended a wedding where the results at zoom are awful.

Is there something fundamental I am missing or is it simply too much to expect the camera to display excellent results in low light at zoom? Is there a way I can manually adjust the non 'IA' settings to help me achieve better results?

The final question is to whether there is a better camera for me? Previously I have used much lower end Sony compacts which have all been great no matter how I use them.

All help much appreciated.

Without seeing sample images it is hard to know what you mean by awful results. The zoom has a large range so at the long (telephoto) end, you will need to hold the camera very steady (ie a tripod or other support) to get sharp images. Also in low light conditions, you will get digital noise (colour blurring) if you don't use the flash. Mix together long range (ie high zoom) and low light, add in a moving subject and you have a recipe for poor images straight away.

Images

Default Pics

Hi Paul,

Could you post one of your images or send it through to me by email? The address is mat_gallagher@ipcmedia.com

Fingers crossed its just user error as i just brought one of these, should arrive tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 318197 View Post
    Fingers crossed its just user error as i just brought one of these, should arrive tomorrow.
    I don't have a problem with mine but you can't use zoom in poor light without some sort of support - I use a pocket tripod that I put against columns or walls etc, to steady my shot...

Have fun

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Siuya View Post
    I don't have a problem with mine but you can't use zoom in poor light without some sort of support - I use a pocket tripod that I put against columns or walls etc, to steady my shot...

Have fun

Chris

Camera arrived this morning is there any setting i should check for optimum performance etc on the TZ7? or does it just depend on the situation.