Thread: G11 vs S90

Hybrid View

Images

Default G11 vs S90

Just read the review of the S90. I have been thinking of upgrading my G9 to a G11, but I wonder whether the S90 migt be a more pocketable alternative, giving the same quality of image.

I would be interested in any thoughts on this

Images

Quick answer as far as I'm concerned is yes.

Reasons to buy the G11 - use of external flash, tilting screen, wider zoom range, personal preference for a larger camera.

Reasons to buy the S90 - genuinely pocketable, faster lens, personal preference for a smaller camera, cheaper.

I bought an S90, and think it's the dog's.

Default G11 vs S90

My first posting, so, apologies for any errors.
    Only problem with S90 is lack of viewfinder. I bought an S90 last year after reading many reports, most of which claimed the screen was so good that a viewfinder is not neccessary, however, this is not the case. Even though I find the S90 a wonderful camera I have now also bought an Ixus 95is (with viewfinder) to use out doors, for action shots and when the sun is shining.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL View Post
    My first posting, so, apologies for any errors.
    Only problem with S90 is lack of viewfinder. I bought an S90 last year after reading many reports, most of which claimed the screen was so good that a viewfinder is not neccessary, however, this is not the case. Even though I find the S90 a wonderful camera I have now also bought an Ixus 95is (with viewfinder) to use out doors, for action shots and when the sun is shining.
    Hi there, I'm glad that you find a viewfinder a good idea and especially finding this out the practical way. I see so many good people asking about cameras, but mostly they seem to go for ones without any viewfinder and then discover that's it tricky trying to look at the screen in certain lighting conditions. There are quite a few compacts that offer viewfinders, so it makes good sense to opt for one of these cameras in the first place. All the best. Mike.