Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images

Very much so. It's a cracking little camera, and DSLRs at that end of the market are getting discontinued every six months. It's almost impossible to get a model which isn't on it's way out, so if the EOS 450D suits your needs I'd go for it. Repair and warantee will be supported as long as it's not purchased abroad too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Very much so. It's a cracking little camera, and DSLRs at that end of the market are getting discontinued every six months. It's almost impossible to get a model which isn't on it's way out, so if the EOS 450D suits your needs I'd go for it. Repair and warantee will be supported as long as it's not purchased abroad too.

Brilliant, thanks Matt. I didn't think it would make a difference really, considering, like you say that cameras are on there way out all the time. Obviously all Canon lenses etc are still going to be compatable, so that won't cripple me in any way.

Jessops had a good looking deal for the 450d with twin lens kit, SD card, bag and tripod, but I'm slightly put off the fact that the lenses don't support Image Stabalisation, which would be useful when using the 300mm lens.

Would anyone recomend spending a bit more to get the 500d? I know the 500d retains lots of the 450d's features as well as additional ones of it's own, but is it worth the extra money?

P.s. I'm not getting a camera to use its video features. I'm not totally sure if the HD video feature is mainly what the extra money is for.

Many thanks,

Martin

Don't worry, cameras are always being disconinued. DSLRs have a shelf life of about 18 months, compacts about 6 months. There will be a replacement for the D3000 shortly I'm sure.
    The EOS 450D is a good camera and I'm sure you'll be delighted with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Atherton View Post
    Don't worry, cameras are always being disconinued. DSLRs have a shelf life of about 18 months, compacts about 6 months. There will be a replacement for the D3000 shortly I'm sure.
    The EOS 450D is a good camera and I'm sure you'll be delighted with it.

Many thanks Nigel, I'm going to start to pursue the best deal now, ideally with a twin lens kit.

Martin.

Hello all,

I'm getting closer to purchasing my DSLR, and was wondering how good tamron and sigma etc. lenses are compared to canon lenses? The only reason I ask is that a lot of the twin lens deals in shops such as Jessops include the canon 18-55mm lens and a 300mm tamron/sigma lens. I was also wondering how not having an Image Stabalisation lens would effect me using the camera as I'm not sure how much the IS actually aids the photography.

Looking at the Canon 500d, the twin lens kits in Jessops for example start to get pretty expensive, (considering it's my first/I'm an amature), and I'm trying to consider whether the extra money is worth it for the 500d over the 450d. Any help/assistance would be massivley appreciated!

(The guy in Jessops today was immediate in his advice over choosing the 500d over the 450d, but then he's getting more money for it, so I'm after a second opinion. He also used the excuse that the 450d is getting discontinued, but as i've already found on here, that doesn't matter).

Many thanks,

Martin

Hi guys,

Just an update, I went for the 450d. It'll be a good litle starter for me, and I hope to get using it asap.

Many thanks for all the previous advice.

Regards,

Martin