I travel a lot and have a Nikon D90 with the 18-200mm lens. If I use the camera with a neck strap the weight of the lens makes the camera tip forward. In this position the lens extends automatically making the lens twice its length and making me look like I have a third leg! There are two issues here which I would welcome opinion on.

1) How do I stop the camera tilting down? If I loop the neck strap under the lens then the camera does not tilt forward but it does make the neck strap short and is not a secure way of supporting the camera. I have also tried putting a wrist strap round the base of the lens and connecting this to the neck strap. It improves things but does not fix them. The real answer would be for Nikon to put the camera strap lugs on the lens or on the front of the camera body rather than on the back. Is there any gadget out there to assist here?
2) How do I stop the lens extending? When I bought the lens I knew it had this extension characteristic but did not appreciate how fast it happens if the lens is tipped down. Ideally a locking mechanism or clutch of some sort is the answer. Is there a way of making the lens action stiffer? So far the only solution I have is to connect a large elastic band from the camera body to the right hand lens hood petal. Looks silly but works very well indeed.