Thread: sigma 70-210

Hybrid View

Images

Unhappy sigma 70-210

hi having recently upgraded to canon 500d, i find my sigma 70-210 seems not to be compatible.
    does anyone know if the lens can be upgraded to work with 500d (if so who do i contact) or is that it consigned to history

What have you upgraded from?

There is a common compatibility problem with older Sigma lenses on Canon DSLRs in particular. It seems that when Canon brings out a new camera they change the electronics slightly which can mean that the camera no longer recognises older lenses when they're attached.
    I've heard it can sometimes happen with old Canon lenses too, but overwhelmingly its Sigma lenses that suffer from this.

There have been several 70-210mm lenses so not sure which one you have, but most are on the list of lenses with known issues. Most of the time the problem can be rectified by sending the lens back to Sigma for 're-chipping' which currently costs 33.99. Whether this is worth doing depends on the lens. If its the expensive 70-210 f/2.8 it would probably be worthwhile.
    Some very old lenses can't be re-chipped, or are not financially worth doing because the secondhand value of the lens is so low. Its worth pointing out that some of the newer digital specific lenses perform significantly better, image quality wise, on Digital SLRs than older zooms designed for film.
    You can find the Sigma 55-200mm or 70-300mm for around 120 if you shop around.

If you do want to contact Sigma about this you can email them at service@sigma-imaging-uk.com or call their service dept on 01707 329999.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Atherton View Post
    I've heard it can sometimes happen with old Canon lenses too
    Must say I've never heard that, Nigel. I've several lenses that date back to the dawn of EOS, and they all work fine on my 5D Mk II - in fact one of the great strengths of the EOS system is that there is pretty close to 100% compatability within it, with almost all EF lenses fitting all EF-mount cameras, and all functions working.

Most of the time the problem can be rectified by sending the lens back to Sigma for 're-chipping' which currently costs 33.99. Whether this is worth doing depends on the lens. If its the expensive 70-210 f/2.8 it would probably be worthwhile.
    Some very old lenses can't be re-chipped, or are not financially worth doing because the secondhand value of the lens is so low. Its worth pointing out that some of the newer digital specific lenses perform significantly better, image quality wise, on Digital SLRs than older zooms designed for film.
    You can find the Sigma 55-200mm or 70-300mm for around 120 if you shop around.

If you do want to contact Sigma about this you can email them at service@sigma-imaging-uk.com or call their service dept on 01707 329999.
    If the lens can't be re-chipped, Sigma may offer something as a trade-in on a newer model, so it's worth asking them.

I just put the words 'sigma lens rechipping canon' into Google and got a lot of search results that talk about the problem. Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by NRoberts View Post
    Must say I've never heard that, Nigel. I've several lenses that date back to the dawn of EOS, and they all work fine on my 5D Mk II - in fact one of the great strengths of the EOS system is that there is pretty close to 100% compatability within it, with almost all EF lenses fitting all EF-mount cameras, and all functions working.
    Ah, I see what you mean. Yes its mainly Sigma that says it's also been known to affect Canon lenses, and I've heard secondhand comments to this effect, but I've not come across it myself or had any letters about it that I can recall.