Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo124 View Post
    Hi Huw - hope you are well. I'm considering investing in a pancake lense for my GX7 to add to the stock 14-50mm lense that came with the camera and the telephoto zoom 45-150mm that was free on a promotion that Panasonic were running at the time.

I think I'd like a Lumix G lense to keep everything consistent, unless you think I should be looking at a different make? Given I'm still a novice I'm thinking of maybe buying a second hand one rather than forking out for something brand new too. What would you recommend?

Many thanks,
    Tom
    Hi Tom.
    You've got the focal lengths fairly covered by the kit zooms, so what you lack are ultra wide and bright primes.
    I'll just tell you what I've got and why. Since my G6 isn't pocketable even with a pancake lens, I chose a Sigma 19mm f2.8 over the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens. These lenses give a natural field of view and better low light performance than the kit zoom. The Panasonic in particular gives the opportunity for a shallower depth of field but costs significantly more to buy.

The Olympus 45mm f1.8 portrait lens. This is the one to buy if you want to play around with depth of field and bocke at a reasonable cost. Be sure you are happy with the focal length by setting your zoom to 45mm and leaving it at that while you take a few portrairs and still life's. If you are happy with that, then imagine if you could adjust the depth of the image that was in focus to maybe anything from only the eyes, to maybe from the tip of their nose to the back of their head, or any depth you wanted really.

The other lens that is fun for occasional use, maybe with art filters sometimes, is the reasonably priced Olympus 9mm wide angle, fisheye, wide angle, f8, bodycap lens. You can't get a much cheaper lens to buy and it doesn't even need to focus. Be aware that there is always a fisheye distortion to the images taken by this lens, so it doesn't perfectly record a scene as your eye sees it. Not good in low light either.

For general 'street' photography with a discreet pancake lens, perhaps the 20mm Panasonic would suit you best. It is fairly slow to focus by all accounts, but for discreet fast street use you could experiment with stopping the aperture down to maybe f11, manually focus once at something maybe 3m away, and then point in the general direction of your subjects and shoot away. At this setting, everything from about 5 ft to infinity will be in focus believe it or not.

Don't be afraid of trying all kinds of ways of using your camera and lenses.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 19-10-14 at 12:13 AM.

The Olympus 45mm f1.8 is on special offer at Currys and Amazon at the moment. There is a promotional credit available on the Amazon offering for another 10 days, which makes Amazon a good few Quid cheaper. Make sure it is sold by Amazon itself though and don't forget to tick the free delivery option at the checkout should you choose to buy from them.

It is probably my favourite lens, although it is not the most used by any means.

The price of each of the lenses I mentioned are superb value for money and value for quality in my opinion. If you only want one lens at the moment, the 45mm f1.8 is likely to impress you most, but do make sure that its field of view is acceptable by setting your existing lens to 45mm and shooting a few off. It is a moderate zoom that is very suitable for portraits or close architecture rather than landscapes, just do you know. I'm sure you would really enjoy using it.