Default My first wide angle lens (micro 4/3)

I have a micro 4/3 camera, thanks to the advice on this thread.

I have a Lumix G3 with a 14-42mm &
    Lumix G Vario 45-200mm

I'd say 75% of the photos I take are while hiking, and so a wide angle lens is next on my list. I don't normally have a tripod with me.

Currently I am trying to decide between the Olympus M. Zuiko 9-18 & Olympus M. Zuiko 12mm after determining the Panasonic 7-14 to be too expensive in the UK.

I am currently torn as 9-18 sounds perfectly good, and I am used to having some zoom range, however the 12mm is supposed to be great and I don't have anything that can do f2. It would be nice to take the occasional photo of my husband's band in low light, but maybe the 12mm wouldn't be ideal for that . I'm still fairly new to photography.

Could I get some advice about what would give me the best overall range of usage in lenses?

Many thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzleumbrella View Post
    I have a micro 4/3 camera, thanks to the advice on this thread.

I have a Lumix G3 with a 14-42mm &
    Lumix G Vario 45-200mm

I'd say 75% of the photos I take are while hiking, and so a wide angle lens is next on my list. I don't normally have a tripod with me.

Currently I am trying to decide between the Olympus M. Zuiko 9-18 & Olympus M. Zuiko 12mm after determining the Panasonic 7-14 to be too expensive in the UK.

I am currently torn as 9-18 sounds perfectly good, and I am used to having some zoom range, however the 12mm is supposed to be great and I don't have anything that can do f2. It would be nice to take the occasional photo of my husband's band in low light, but maybe the 12mm wouldn't be ideal for that . I'm still fairly new to photography.

Could I get some advice about what would give me the best overall range of usage in lenses?

Many thanks for any advice.
    It is the field of view you are concerned with, no doubt. You already have a 14mm, so set the zoom at that and imagine an image that is just a bit further away and wider. Just a bit, and you've got the idea of what your potential 12 looks like. Yes, it will have the marked advantage of having a larger iris, lower f stop with the advantage in low light and a shallow depth of field, but basically it is a 12mm which is very near to 14 in field of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Williams View Post
    It is the field of view you are concerned with, no doubt. You already have a 14mm, so set the zoom at that and imagine an image that is just a bit further away and wider. Just a bit, and you've got the idea of what your potential 12 looks like. Yes, it will have the marked advantage of having a larger iris, lower f stop with the advantage in low light and a shallow depth of field, but basically it is a 12mm which is very near to 14 in field of view.
    Thanks, this is the conclusion I've been coming to myself. I was getting really caught up in some enthusiastic reviews, but it doesn't really make sense when I'm shopping for wide.