Default Concert / Travel Camera

Hi,

This is my first time posting and I really, really hope someone can help me. What I am looking for is a camera that I can use for concert photography and also for travel purposes that is under 1000 but at the moment I am completely and utterly bewildered by the range of cameras out there .

Primarily I need a camera that is small and compact, that is excellent in low light situations, action shots, good video and sound, excellent autofocus and image stabilisation and has a decent zoom. Looking for the impossible I think .

What I have been using so far was the Panasonic TZ30 which had a great wide angle zoom (20x) and had half decent pictures in good daylight but sucked pretty badly in low light. I need a step up from the point and shoot camera to something that will take good quality photos and video.

For concert photography, I had looked at the Sony RX100 ii which looks great particularly if you are near the front but because of it's small zoom, if you are in the middle or back of a venue it is not brilliant.

I had also considered CSC cameras such as the Sony a6000 and Panasonic GX7 but I don't know what they are like for action shots if there is a lot of movement on a concert stage and I am also not sure if I want to be carrying a load of lens as I want to carry as little as possible but this is not a deal breaker.

For travel, I used the zoom a lot to focus on architectural details on buildings and also for quite a few impromptu situations where if I had a camera that uses interchangeable lens would mean I would miss the shot.

I have also considered superzoom cameras such as the Sony RX10 but some of them are quite heavy and bulky and I don't know if they would be allowed in some concert venues.

As you can see I am at a loss as to what to get. I am a complete and utter novice to the world of photography and I just don't know what to pick. Has anyone any suggestions please?

Thanks very much.

Images

Hi & welcome
    A camera that might be worth looking at is the Panasonic FZ200. It has a constant aperture through the zoom range which would be good for concert shots, also has a 24x zoom .

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Hi & welcome
    A camera that might be worth looking at is the Panasonic FZ200. It has a constant aperture through the zoom range which would be good for concert shots, also has a 24x zoom .
    Hi Graham_C,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did have a look at the Panasonic FZ200 because of the constant F/2.8 aperture but ultimately dismissed it as it is more bulkier than what I would like. For some concert venues, you just simply would not be allowed to bring this camera in and what I was looking for was something smaller if possible.

I had also considered the Olympus Stylus 1 which looked promising as it also has a constant F/2.8 aperture, is smaller and you can also get a tele conversion lens for it. However, looking at a few reviews it mentioned that the image quality isn't quite as good as the Sony RX10 for example and that the video capabilities are poor compared to other models.

Any other suggestions Graham_C? Thanks again.

Images

Dont know if this one will be of interest to you. This Canon powershot SX230 HS seems to perform well at high ISO's, with very little noise

I had looked at the newer Powershot SX280 HS and the SX510 HS but I wanted to get away from these Point and Shoot cameras and take my photography to the next level.

I am considering the G1 X Mark II but I need to read a few reviews on it. I think you can get a teleconverter lens but I am not sure on this but it might be one solution if possible with regard to the zoom issue.

Would you consider a CSC camera? If so, is there anything you would recommend?