Thread: Gallery

Default Gallery

As a newbie it has been lovely looking through the gallery, lots of gorgeous photos on there. I am getting a new camera for my birthday and if of the photos I take are good enough I will put them on. However, how on earth do you all remember of the settings you used on the camera!?
    Do you write them all down when you have taken the photo or do you all just 'know'. I have a shocking memory for most things, but especially numbers so can't imagine ever being able to say what settings I used. I think it will be pot luck if any of mine turn out good enough for the gallery.

Hi Val,
    Not sure what camera you are buying so lets imaging its a compact camera. With this type you don't need to worry just put it on auto and snap away. However, if you are going to buy a DSLR get in to the habit of using it in aperture priority straight away, your manual will tell you how to do this. By doing this you set the aperture and the camera will select the shutter speed, aperture values decide how much light enters the camera, a aperture value of f5.6 is on the large end of the scale so lets in more light and it will give you a fast shutter speed, where as a aperture value of f16 is smaller and restricts the amount of light entering the camera, resulting in a slower shutter speed. Now this may sound difficult but believe me its not, its about perseverance, learn a bit at a time, ask questions, read and use YouTube. If I can help anymore just ask, Graham C is also very good and was my mentor when I came on the site as a person who did not understand and also had a shocking memory. When I had advice I would cut and paste it into a tutorial folder I set up on my computer.
    All The Best
    Gary

Hi Gary,

Oh, lots of good advice and tips there. Graham has already been really helpful to me and suggested a book - Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs by Bryan Peterson, Which I have just bought. Him in doors tried to explain the same thing you have said to me earlier in the week and it does make sense, just a case of actually remembering it. I am buying a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 so can leave it on the auto settings until I get used to it, although I suppose if I am taking a landscape, or something that isn't going to move, I could try using both and then I can see the difference. You are right though, about learning a bit at a time, that would definitely work better for me. Now this might sound a really stupid question, but what does the 'f' stand for before the number, is it something as simple as fast! Go on, have a good laugh I don't mind.

Val

Images

Default F stop.

Quote Originally Posted by VALDERRE View Post
    Hi Gary,

Oh, lots of good advice and tips there. Graham has already been really helpful to me and suggested a book - Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs by Bryan Peterson, Which I have just bought. Him in doors tried to explain the same thing you have said to me earlier in the week and it does make sense, just a case of actually remembering it. I am buying a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 so can leave it on the auto settings until I get used to it, although I suppose if I am taking a landscape, or something that isn't going to move, I could try using both and then I can see the difference. You are right though, about learning a bit at a time, that would definitely work better for me. Now this might sound a really stupid question, but what does the 'f' stand for before the number, is it something as simple as fast! Go on, have a good laugh I don't mind.

Val
    hI val f was originally f/n but got shortened. This question has got many answers and all are right. Basically it is the focal length of the lens divided by the f number which gives you the dia of the aperture which allows light through. f16 in strong light f2 in low light so f is assumed to mean fraction. This question usually causes discussion.