Hybrid View

Default Choosing between Fujifilm X20 and Lumix TX-60.

A complete beginner here. Looking for a decent camera to take up photography with.
    Both of these have been recommended to me, and I'm looking to decide between the two! I understand the Fujifilm X20 has a better sensor than the TX-60, but has come out worse in some resolution tests...? Both seem very decent for what I need, but just wondered if someone here might have a more professional opinion.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bananabandana View Post
    A complete beginner here. Looking for a decent camera to take up photography with.
    Both of these have been recommended to me, and I'm looking to decide between the two! I understand the Fujifilm X20 has a better sensor than the TX-60, but has come out worse in some resolution tests...? Both seem very decent for what I need, but just wondered if someone here might have a more professional opinion.

Thanks!
    You might mean the TZ60 which has only become available in the last few weeks. It is a competent, very well specified travel-zoom with about 30x zoom.

The X20 is an advanced compact with 5x zoom. It is more of an enthusiasts camera that is very satisfying to own, to hold and to use.

If you do not need the 30x zoom and intend to take up photography as a serious hobby, or take delight in owning nice stylish things, then the X20 is for you.
    If you do need the zoom and want a more compact camera that fits easier into a pocket, the Lumix might suit you better.

Both have got viewfinders but the X20's is a very good optical unit with information overlay, but it does have parallax issues for nearby subjects. This is not a deal breaker though.
    The Lumix has a low quality EVF by all accounts, which is better than nothing in sunny weather. Personally I would look for the TZ40 or the bargain TZ35 to save a bit of money in this choice of Lumix cameras but I have actually put my money where my mouth is and have an X20

I don't wish to project my own choice on you though. Only you can know which of these floats your boat and there are lots of other choices available too. Most complete beginners buy a cheap compact as their first camera but if this gets them interested in creating better images, either for memory or for art's sake, they soon upgrade to an enthusiast's camera. Some leap into buying a DSLR because they feel and others say that is what they 'should' buy. Unfortunately probably the majority of first time buyers find these DSLR's unwieldy and inconvenient to carry around and tend to leave them at home gathering dust, never really getting enthused enough to even learn the basics of using them properly. But once again, if you really know what you want and you want a DSLR or any other type of camera, that is entirely up to you.

Yes, that's what I meant. Have followed your advice and bought the X20 - should be arriving on Monday!
    Thanks for all the help!
    Ben

Yes, that's what I meant. Have followed your advice and bought the X20 - should be arriving on Monday!
    Thanks for all the help!
    Ben
    I'm sure you will love it. Most users dote on it.
    You will need an SD card for it. 16gig class 10 are available on Amazon for around 10 or you pay a whole lot more in a retail store. Spare battery is also essential for this camera, again around 10. And a nice snug shoulder bag perhaps? Yet again under a tenner for a very nice one such as this….
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This solves the problem of carrying the camera with Summer clothes, although the camera fits easily in my wife's handbags for convenience or into a fair size pocket, depending on the occasion.

Thanks for all the help!
    Ben
    How are you getting on with it? I love using it and always get a little thrill from using the X20.
    For best results try reducing the sharpening a tad. Sometimes I find that using centre-biassed exposure metering gives better results in contrasty light than evaluative/average metering.
    There are quite a few videos describing the features on this camera, as I'm sure you have found by now.
    Another tip is to allocate different functions to the actual function button at the top as appropriate for what your are shooting at the time. I have it set to digital zoom most of the time but you can easily change that by a long press and choosing another function from the list.