Hybrid View

Default New camera or new lens?

Hi there I have a Fujifilm finepix S 5800 and I was wondering if it would be worth getting a new lens for it or just buying a new camera.

You see I buy and sell antiques and jewellery and I need a camera that can take close up pictures of the stones and hallmarks of the jewellery that I sell. Don't get me wrong 9 times out of 10 this camera does pick up the marks and stones but I have noticed that they are a little grainy and not as crisp as I would like them to be.

So would just like some advice really on lens's or maybe a new camera which ever you think is more viable to buy.

Thank you in advance.

Isn't this a superzoom bridge type camera? No interchangeable lens for those, because the lens is a fixed integral part of the body.
    But its your camera and if you insist that the lens is interchangeable, so be it. Do check the model number though, in case you have mixed it up with something else.

Mind you, I could be wrong about this. It wouldn't be the first time and probably won't be the last time either.

In the meantime do mount your camera on a versatile tripod and use a good light while shooting your jewelry. Also use the two second timer for every shot so that the action of pressing the shutter release doesn't move the camera while exposure takes place. If your camera has macro mode, use it.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 17-04-14 at 10:54 PM.

You could be right lol I am not very good with cameras I have had this one for a good few years now. I just presumed that because it looks fandangled you could change the lens. (typical woman lol) I use the super macro on it but the pictures still seem grainy but I will try the tripod and the 2 second timer and see if that works as it might be me shaking slightly when I am pressing the button to take the shot.

Thank you for replying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by goinpotty View Post
    You could be right lol I am not very good with cameras I have had this one for a good few years now. I just presumed that because it looks fandangled you could change the lens. (typical woman lol) I use the super macro on it but the pictures still seem grainy but I will try the tripod and the 2 second timer and see if that works as it might be me shaking slightly when I am pressing the button to take the shot.

Thank you for replying to me.
    You're welcome.
    For your use it is important not to use Auto mode. Try P mode maybe. The reason being that it is vital that you set the ISO manually to 200 or below. That generation of tiny-sensor camera is very sensitive to ISO and 400 or higher will inevitably produce very 'noisy' low quality images. If you follow all the above you should have very nice pictures indeed. Let us know how you get on after a little practice.