Default Saving files in raw

I have begun shooting in RAW on my Nikon D3100. However as I am using Lightroom 3.3 which I am unable to update, I am having issues exporting my files as RAW.

Unless I choose to export the file from Lightroom as a JPEG, the file is un-openable on my computer. The file does seem to be twice the size when I shoot in RAW and export as a JPEG. However I am worried I am losing quality etc.

Is there a way around this as I can not update the software on my Lightroom version. Am I actually loosing the quality by exporting the RAW file as a JPEG?

Thanks

Images

Hi welcome to the forum. It might be that lightroom 3 may not recognise Nikon d3100 files

Images

Just done a web search and lightroom 3 will open nikon d3100 files. You will be loosing quality saving as jpg try saving as either dng or tiff

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Just done a web search and lightroom 3 will open nikon d3100 files. You will be loosing quality saving as jpg try saving as either dng or tiff
    Thank you. I have tried exporting them as DNG files but they do not open on my laptop? Not sure if I need some sort of converter?

Images

Once you export them what software are you using to view them

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    Once you export them what software are you using to view them
    Hi. I am viewing them in windows photo gallery. This is what it defaults to.

Images

I just tried to view a raw file on windows photo gallery and it wouldn't open it. Get the CD that came with the camera install the software on it and it will let you view raw files.If you are just viewing the photos then storing them in jpg is ok. I copy all my raw files to jpeg for viewing and the raw I keep for editing ... Graham
    Last edited by graham_c; 18-04-14 at 11:46 AM.