We managed to get some time with the Nikon D4s at the Broacast Video Expo. Watch our first impressions video and see for yourself how this tank of a camera handles

We first got a look at it in Vegas back in January, we saw the specs in the official announcement earlier this week – now we’ve had a chance to handle the new Nikon D4S for ourselves. Read our first look review of the Nikon D4S.

Replacing the company’s flagship D4, this pro-level behemoth retails for $6500 and boasts a maximum ISO ceiling of a whopping 409,600. We’re also getting improved AF algorithms for better subject tracking, a reworked grip for better comfort in the hand and the new Expeed 4 processor.

Our Technical Writer Jon Devo was fortunate enough to be one of the first in the country to play with the Nikon D4s, and he happily reports that he had a rather good time.

‘This will probably shock no-one, but I was really impressed with the D4s,’ Jon said. ‘An update to the outstanding D4 was always going to be impressive, but Nikon has made a lot of pretty sensible decisions that have paid off. The re-shaped buttons make it that little bit easier to hold and use, which is no mean feat given that it’s built like a tank.’

‘I especially like how much the reworked shutter and mirror mechanism reduces blackout time between shots – it’s a subtle change, but has a huge impact on how easy it is to continuously focus and compose.’

‘If I had to criticise, I guess it’s a little surprising we aren’t seeing 4K video in the D4s. The fact that Panasonic and Canon have both released 4K-equipped cameras suddenly makes the D4s look a little less like the definitive all-in-one camera for professionals. Nikon might have missed a trick there.’

Watch the video below to see the Nikon D4s in action: