Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Real beginner's question

Hi all,

I've just joined and not owned a camera for about 8 years.

In fact, I've only ever owned 2 - a Kodak Instamatic as a child in the 70s and a Cannon Sureshot which I bought mid 90s. It was a 35mm motor wind model and its selling point was the range of its motorised lens meaning that you got the equivalent of 28mm for landscape pictures as well as the zoom end of the scale (from memory 140mm - but not sure about that). Anyway, I thought it took great pictures and it was certainly very good to use.

I am looking to buy a new camera for myself. But I want something more substantial than most modern cameras. I tried a friend's and found it too small and fiddly for my clumsy hands. I like the look (from online, not yet seen in the flesh) of the retro ones. The Leicas look beautiful but I don't want to have to sell my house to buy one!

Do you think the Fujica Finepix X100 or Olympus OMD E-M10 (I had a friend who owned a beautiful OM10 in the 80s) could be what I'm looking for? Important to me is:

- A decent size for holding firm
    - Fast set-up. I want to be able to take a photograph when the moment happens. The one I tried had a 2 or 3 second delay between clicking the shutter and the photo being taken.
    - An accurate viewfinder. I don't like looking at the LCD screens on the back and want a traditional viewfinder that shows me what the lens is seeing with the camera close against my face - not 3 cm to the side like a Kodak Instamatic
    - Quality pictures panoramic views, sports photos, family shots with kids running around etc
    - Not overly-loaded with gimmicks. maybe just the modern day equivalent of shutter speed
    - Either functionality for interchangeable lenses or, ideally, a motorised lens that covers landscape to very close up.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Many thanks

Images

Hi Robbo, welcome to the forum. Of the two cameras you mentioned the Fuji X100 is a fixed lens I think it's 23mm F2, so it wouldn't zoom in and out. The Olympus on the other hand is a CSC system which will allow you to change lenses . Hope this helps... Graham

Thanks Graham. Unfortunately, that means the Fuji is not for me. I will look closer at the Olympus but do you know of any camera that has this sort of retro appearance and a motorised lens?

Images

Yes there are a few around try this link

http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/1105_dslr_01.htm

Images

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/d...as/model/x-t1/

Here is another link, both cameras allow you to change lenses. Hope this helps... Graham

If you insist on a viewfinder while your other requirments appear to indicate a basic point and shoot camera, then an entry level DSLR would suit apart from the style. Yet you want a retro style with a motorized lens.
    If it wasn't for the viewfinder I would say that a Pentax MX-1 would be suitable. Why do you want a viewfinder at this level of photography?

If it is non-negotiable and you are apparently willing to spend around 800, have a look at the Panasonic GX-7 or the Olympus Stylus 1 in particular. In fact the Stylus would appear to be nearest your wish list.
    You could use any of these cameras in auto mode, but that would be a complete waste of potential and your money.

Thanks for your advice Huw.
    I really only want the viewfinder as I cannot get used to the idea of using a screen and holding the camera a foot away from my face to see the image. And the retro style is just because I prefer the look of it - not really a show-stopper, just a preference.
    I could never afford an SLR in the old days so the only experience I have of an adjustable lens is with a motorised one, but again I'd be happy to try manual.
    I have to be realistic - while I want to develop my photography skills with a camera which has the potential to do more than I currently am able, it also has to be something which I can use quickly and easily on family days out etc. So the fact that there is an auto mode is actually very appealing to me.
    Your shortlist was very helpful and I think I will be deciding between 2 Olympus models: Stylus 1 and OMD E-M10. I will go to visit a stockist and see them both in the flesh before deciding.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by robbo400 View Post
    Thanks for your advice Huw.
    I really only want the viewfinder as I cannot get used to the idea of using a screen and holding the camera a foot away from my face to see the image. And the retro style is just because I prefer the look of it - not really a show-stopper, just a preference.
    I could never afford an SLR in the old days so the only experience I have of an adjustable lens is with a motorised one, but again I'd be happy to try manual.
    I have to be realistic - while I want to develop my photography skills with a camera which has the potential to do more than I currently am able, it also has to be something which I can use quickly and easily on family days out etc. So the fact that there is an auto mode is actually very appealing to me.
    Your shortlist was very helpful and I think I will be deciding between 2 Olympus models: Stylus 1 and OMD E-M10. I will go to visit a stockist and see them both in the flesh before deciding.
    Thanks again.
    I honestly think that the Stylus1 would suit you down to the ground. Its a lovely camera that is very convenient to carry around and use. If I was in the market for such a camera currently, it would certainly be my choice and my first Olympus.

I will let you know my choice once I've looked at them both. On paper, there doesn't seem that much between them either in terms of price or spec, so I guess it will come down to which one "sings" to me most. thanks again

Thanks for all your advice.
    I have bought the Stylus 1 as a practical compromise. It has great lens focal range and I felt it was better designed to be carried around.
    There is no doubt that the OM-D EM-10 is a superior camera. It feels sturdier and is much more comfortable to hold (for me at least). In the end, it was the fact that I'd need either to buy a very expensive and bulky lens to cover the range I wanted or have 2 lenses I'd need to alternate if I took the OM-D. I know, despite preferring the product, that for me either of these options would have become annoying so I went for the Stylus 1. It's still a step up for me and if i outgrow its capabilities, I will then revisit the OM-D.