Question HELP!! Luddite buying camera as a gift.

Hello all,

Yet another new forum member coming straight in with a request for advice

I know next to nothing about photography but would like to buy my wife a new camera. She is an enthusiastic amateur and wants a compact camera for times when her trusty Fuji S5700 is just too bulky. After a few days of looking around, I have realised that the majority of reasonably priced compacts outperform her old bridge camera in all respects!
    All I clearly remember from the research I did when I bought the S5700 (back in 2007) was that the biggest numbers don’t always mean the best results, so I’m hoping for some advice to narrow down my list.

I’ll give you the criteria before going on to my shortlist:

1. Available from Amazon as I know they deliver to BFPO addresses and make it easy to reclaim the VAT
    2. Budget of up to £250 (including VAT)
    3. Needs to fit in a handbag or coat pocket
    4. It will be used mostly for landscapes, wildlife (including some macro shooting) and everyday family photos.
    5. Minimum 20x zoom
    6. Good point-and-click performance but with the option to make manual adjustments for exposure and……other technical photography stuff!
    7. Loads of different filters and effects aren’t a big priority (she can probably cover most options using GIMP) but panoramic could be useful.
    8. WiFi, GPS etc are handy, but not really high on the list

Based on the above, I have come down to two main options, either the Sony DSCHX50 or the Panasonic Lumix TZ40.

I also have a couple of outsiders in the Canon SX700 (at the VERY top of my budget) and the Olympus SH-60 (specs seem good but I’ve not found a single credible review).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Images

From my own experience I bought a Panasonic TZ20 10 Years ago and i'm still using it now, they make very good cameras. The latest models will do all that you ask of them, and more.

Cheers for the reply.

I was tending towards the Panasonic as the reviews seemed just a little bit more flattering. I just wanted to check as it has been on the market for longer so I wasn't sure if it did so well due to lower expectations and less capapble competition (if you catch my drift).

In the end though, I've decided to throw the budget out of the window and go for the TZ-60 (VAT refund and the cashback deal mean I can get it for about £240).

The final decider was RAW capability, adding an extra level of "growing room", ensuring the camera will be well used for the foreseeable future.

Images

Good choice I am sure you will be pleased, even my old timer has raw capability...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Cheers for the reply.

I was tending towards the Panasonic as the reviews seemed just a little bit more flattering. I just wanted to check as it has been on the market for longer so I wasn't sure if it did so well due to lower expectations and less capapble competition (if you catch my drift).

In the end though, I've decided to throw the budget out of the window and go for the TZ-60 (VAT refund and the cashback deal mean I can get it for about £240).

The final decider was RAW capability, adding an extra level of "growing room", ensuring the camera will be well used for the foreseeable future.
    There's a review on here for the TZ60 here's the link http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...60-review.html
    All the Best
    Gary

I personally prefer the feature set of the TZ40 to that of the TZ60. But I am not you.