Default Totally bemused need help

Hi Everyone,

new here and starting out into world of digital photography . Have SONY CYBERSHOT already and it's been OK but failed me when my daughter graduated . I was taking a shot of her on stage receiving her certificate but by the time the picture was taken she was off the stage. Also I confess I have become an anorak for steam trains and try to get picture of them at my local station either static or in motion. The cybershot is not great. What does anyone think of Samsung WB250F Smart Camera 2.0 with Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity - White (14MP CMOS, 18x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch HVGA Touch Screen . I don't know what all this means . I am afraid I am just emerging from the 1970's. Can anyone recommend something else.

Thank

Images

Difficult to go wrong with any camera these days, if you have a dealership near you go and have a play. Most cameras in the digital range have a warm up time I presume that is why you missed the shot. The samsung is a capable camera and will do all you ask of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonsyard View Post
    Hi Everyone,

new here and starting out into world of digital photography . Have SONY CYBERSHOT already and it's been OK but failed me when my daughter graduated . I was taking a shot of her on stage receiving her certificate but by the time the picture was taken she was off the stage. Also I confess I have become an anorak for steam trains and try to get picture of them at my local station either static or in motion. The cybershot is not great. What does anyone think of Samsung WB250F Smart Camera 2.0 with Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity - White (14MP CMOS, 18x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch HVGA Touch Screen . I don't know what all this means . I am afraid I am just emerging from the 1970's. Can anyone recommend something else.

Thank
    It is probably OK for 100 but don't expect much for that money. A quick look at a couple of reviews would seem to confirm this. If you quickly scan a few recent posts on this forum you will see that I've noted two excellent compact cameras for 130 which I reckon would probably be worth all the extra cost. For a bit more you could have the new Canon sx700 or Sony HX50. At current prices I would favour the Panasonic TZ40 over all the others with the little Fuji a close second.

However, they are compact cameras and, although excellent in good light, will invariably be compromised to some extent in less favourable light. If you possibly can justify it, think of something with a better build and/or larger sensor, in the advanced compact category rather than the travel-zoom category. Think of the Pentax MX-1, Fuji X20, Canon G15 and so on. These have less zoom than the travel-zooms but have significant other advantages.

I have highlighted the bargain camera of the list above, but only you will know [or guess], rightly or wrongly, what you want to spend and on what actual camera.

All of the cameras above will beg you to put some effort in to learn how to get the best out of them. The last thing you want is to lose another critical shot or three because you are scratching your head as to the best setting to use. Remember that there is nothing wrong with using the 'Auto' mode to capture that critical shot and that all the other modes and features can, at least initially, wait until you are entirely comfortable with your new tool and its use.

Basically, play around with your new toy as much as possible when you are not under pressure. It costs you absolutely nothing to take thousands of practice shots on a digital camera and you can delete all the dross at the flick of a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by hartley353 View Post
    Difficult to go wrong with any camera these days, if you have a dealership near you go and have a play. Most cameras in the digital range have a warm up time I presume that is why you missed the shot. The samsung is a capable camera and will do all you ask of it.
    Thanks for advice . Going ahead with the Samsung . Got a good deal.

Many Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Williams View Post
    It is probably OK for 100 but don't expect much for that money. A quick look at a couple of reviews would seem to confirm this. If you quickly scan a few recent posts on this forum you will see that I've noted two excellent compact cameras for 130 which I reckon would probably be worth all the extra cost. For a bit more you could have the new Canon sx700 or Sony HX50. At current prices I would favour the Panasonic TZ40 over all the others with the little Fuji a close second.

However, they are compact cameras and, although excellent in good light, will invariably be compromised to some extent in less favourable light. If you possibly can justify it, think of something with a better build and/or larger sensor, in the advanced compact category rather than the travel-zoom category. Think of the Pentax MX-1, Fuji X20, Canon G15 and so on. These have less zoom than the travel-zooms but have significant other advantages.

I have highlighted the bargain camera of the list above, but only you will know [or guess], rightly or wrongly, what you want to spend and on what actual camera.

All of the cameras above will beg you to put some effort in to learn how to get the best out of them. The last thing you want is to lose another critical shot or three because you are scratching your head as to the best setting to use. Remember that there is nothing wrong with using the 'Auto' mode to capture that critical shot and that all the other modes and features can, at least initially, wait until you are entirely comfortable with your new tool and its use.

Basically, play around with your new toy as much as possible when you are not under pressure. It costs you absolutely nothing to take thousands of practice shots on a digital camera and you can delete all the dross at the flick of a switch.
    Thanks Huw . Going ahead with Samsung got a good deal . Regards Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonsyard View Post
    Thanks Huw . Going ahead with Samsung got a good deal . Regards Nick
    No problem. Samsung make excellent cameras with very good image quality.