Hybrid View

Default Recommendations for a camera with a good super macro function

Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I work in a microscopy lab but often users need good quality, close-up images of samples which are too large to fully get in the field of view under a microscope.
    I am looking for a digital camera with a great super macro function that users will find easy and intuitive to use. It needs to be able to be mounted to a tripod and have very true-to-life colour. Preferably under 300.
    Any recommendations?
    Many thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by katcross View Post
    Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I work in a microscopy lab but often users need good quality, close-up images of samples which are too large to fully get in the field of view under a microscope.
    I am looking for a digital camera with a great super macro function that users will find easy and intuitive to use. It needs to be able to be mounted to a tripod and have very true-to-life colour. Preferably under 300.
    Any recommendations?
    Many thanks for your help.
    There's always the 'price' thing. Would you buy a scientific instrument like a precision microscope with a specifier that it should cost less than 300? Since it is for a business you will be claiming the VAT back and getting 100% tax relief on it in all probability, so the budget you have set is very low in today's world. You seem to be somewhat flexible though, which is a good thing.

That aside, what about a compact camera like a Panasonic TZ35? This meets all your requirements I think, but possibly not the super part of super-macro. Otherwise one of mine fits the bill, apart from the bill that is, and it is the Fuji X20 which certainly does have a very good super-macro mode. So much so that I have to be careful not to knock the lens glass when hand held. Fuji do a very good value three year extension on the warranty in-house as well.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 27-03-14 at 08:29 AM.