Unhappy Canon 100D (slr) vs Panasonic FZ18 / TZ20 (bridge/compact p&s) - Clarity of shots

Hi all

I recently bought a Canon 100D (with 18-55mm IS STM lens kit) and I am generally apply with the pictures, BUT, when comparing back to the quality (in terms of clarity) of my old Panasonic FZ18 or TZ20, it underperforms. I can see lines, hairs and spots on faces with the Panasonics, but this is softened by the Canon. Bearing in mind the Canon is a 2013 camera with 18MP, vs the 5yr and 2yr old Panasonics with 8MP and 14MP, I'm struggling to understand how the Canon can't match the clarity of faces, buildings etc. Am I expecting too much for a 'Beginner' slr? Can anyone help?

Any help most appreciated.

Cole

Images

what settings are using when taking the pictures are you shooting raw

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    what settings are using when taking the pictures are you shooting raw
    I'm shooting in Large. Highest other than Raw. Appreciate that raw holds more data, but assume Large should be enough to should be enough to out perform the other cameras, especially as they aren't shooting in raw. Having said this, I'm a beginner so don't yet appreciate these finer points. Should it make much of a difference?

Images

are you shooting in auto mode

are you shooting in auto mode
    I've been shooting in Aperture priority, generally widest (3.5 to 5) or around 16. ISO, White balance on auto. Although, worried it might be my own shooting I tested some auto shots last night as the light was fading and the result appears to be about he same.

Images

Aperture priority is good but not auto iso also shooting with the lens wide open gives a very narrow dof. you do have scene modes to try but real to get the best out of a DSLR shoot RAW and then convert in post processing. can you post a picture then we can see whats wrong

Aperture priority is good but not auto iso also shooting with the lens wide open gives a very narrow dof. you do have scene modes to try but real to get the best out of a DSLR shoot RAW and then convert in post processing. can you post a picture then we can see whats wrong
    Take your point on narrow dof, I guess the tip of a nose could be in focus but the ear not (extreme example). I'll shoot at the weekend in broad daylight with manual iso's, and in raw. I'll post a pick when I can. Cheers.

Images

remember you will have to post process the image as well. RAW is like a negative