Question An expedition to India, with a GoPro

Hello, I am planning to go on an expedition to India in the summer, and I have been given the task of camera man. I have a bit of money saved. I was primarily thinking of buying a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. I was going to wait for the Hero 4, but there are only speculations about it, no definite release. So the question is, is this the best outdoor action camera, also what would be the best Micro SD card for it and will it be appropriate for the expedition? I will be limited to power and charge for spaces of up to a week. I have an external battery pack (10000Mah) I am planning to take, but will that be sufficient to last the week? In regards to the Micro SD card, will a 64GB card be appropriate for the month, or will I need to take multiple? Thanks
    Fabian

Quote Originally Posted by faabiian3 View Post
    Hello, I am planning to go on an expedition to India in the summer, and I have been given the task of camera man. I have a bit of money saved. I was primarily thinking of buying a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. I was going to wait for the Hero 4, but there are only speculations about it, no definite release. So the question is, is this the best outdoor action camera, also what would be the best Micro SD card for it and will it be appropriate for the expedition? I will be limited to power and charge for spaces of up to a week. I have an external battery pack (10000Mah) I am planning to take, but will that be sufficient to last the week? In regards to the Micro SD card, will a 64GB card be appropriate for the month, or will I need to take multiple? Thanks
    Fabian
    Depends on how much video you will shoot. I would take at least 2 or 3 64Gig cards, possibly more. The Go-Pro is primarily a video cam and video is greedy. Work on an average of three hours of video per card.
    I would have another camera, with good still and video capability as well as the Gopro. On average you will use far more of a still camera than video and a big LCD screen and fully featured camera, a bridge camera like the NikonP520 perhaps, can't be beat.
    If strapping a camera to your head or to a vehicle to take videos is your aim, the Gopro is what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Williams View Post
    Depends on how much video you will shoot. I would take at least 2 or 3 64Gig cards, possibly more. The Go-Pro is primarily a video cam and video is greedy. Work on an average of three hours of video per card.
    I would have another camera, with good still and video capability as well as the Gopro. On average you will use far more of a still camera than video and a big LCD screen and fully featured camera, a bridge camera like the NikonP520 perhaps, can't be beat.
    If strapping a camera to your head or to a vehicle to take videos is your aim, the Gopro is what you need.
    3!? Whoa, would it be suggested that I just take photos on the expedition, I don't want to spend much money, but I definately want to get a gopro, I wasn't necessarily intending to record the whole thing, just take photos mostly and the odd video clip. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by faabiian3 View Post
    3!? Whoa, would it be suggested that I just take photos on the expedition, I don't want to spend much money, but I definately want to get a gopro, I wasn't necessarily intending to record the whole thing, just take photos mostly and the odd video clip. Thanks for your reply.
    Only you know what you really want and need and how you are going to use it and what your budget is. Even the Gopro 3+ isn't really a still image camera, so keep that in mind. Even for still photography with a modern camera shooting jpegs only, I would take two 16gig cards or one 32gig, as it is better to have some spare memory rather than always worrying that you will fill the cards.
    The 3+ files can be quite large. If you don't use that high definition facility, which will fill cards faster, you might as well save some money and buy a 3 or 2 version perhaps? Up to you.

Images

can i ask what shots are you going to take or want to take