Default Indoor Sports - No Flash allowed - Update camera or lens ?

Hi

I have owned and used a Nikon DX40 for a couple of years and been quite happy with general pictures I have taken over the years of holidays, days out, my kids etc.
    I have the std 18-55 lens and a Sigma 70-300 which I think cost about 100 so not brilliant.

My skill level would be classed as 'enthusiastic novice'

I need to be able to take quality shots of fast paced indoor sports, such as gymnastic events. I am not allowed to use flash.

I have tried many settings on the camera but just don't seem to be able to get the fast action frozen and rather have to wait till athletes are in static poses orpositions which means I am missing out on some great shots.

So my question is, should I opt for a fast lens with VR or should I update the camera...but I don't think I can afford to do both.
    Got a budget of about 800.00

Your help is much appreciated

Brad

Images

Hi Welcome to the forum

The D40 is getting long in the tooth (in camera terms) but still a very good camera capable of great photos,If it was me I'd be looking at a fast constant lens

Images

Same as at AP - I think a new body would be a lot more use than a lens, given the age and limited high ISO capabilities of the D40X.

Quote Originally Posted by NRoberts View Post
    Same as at AP - I think a new body would be a lot more use than a lens, given the age and limited high ISO capabilities of the D40X.
    Many thanks for the reply's....I have been looking at the D7000 along with Sigma 2.8 lenses all 2nd hand and found some good examples so gonna go with that combo.

Cheers

Images

a good fast lens would be my first buy, as i know even if i had a better camera i would still need that lens to get the shot

Images

Sounds good!