Default Need help with selecting a mirror-less camera...

hi..

am new to this mirror-less camera stuff. I've been researching and searching for the past 2 months the best model to go for. I need the camera for taking photographs of my little girl. My budget is around 800-900 usd (have to buy the camera + the extra lens + UV filter)

I currently own a Sony Cybershot camera and a 41MP camera-phone (Nokia 808)

I was thinking of going with Olympus PEN E-PM2 + Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 Lens + a filter

Have a few questions:

1. In my budget, is there a better camera that I can purchase?
    2. An extra lens like f/1.8 which is useful for taking pictures of fast moving children. Is there another lens better then Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 Lens?
    3. I've no idea about the filters, all I understand is that it can protect the lens (like the screen-protector on our cellfones?) Which one should I go with?

Since, am from Pakistan and this stuff is not widely available here apart from a few places at quite high prices compared to International market. I've a colleague from Finland, will have to request him to bring this stuff when he visits his place. So, I'll appreciate if people can advise which stuff should I go with.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

In my opinion a 45mm m4/3 lens is more of a portrait lens then anything. A more general purpose lens would be nearer 25mm, which is a 50mm full frame equivalent.

Also check out Finnish prices, because Finland is normally regards as being an expensive place to live.

Olympus tend not to supply lens hoods as standard, while Panasonic generally do. I seldom bother with filters, but do use a polarizer on two of my Sony lenses where appropriate. It could be that you could make good use of one of these in Pakistan, or otherwise a suitable dark filter of neutral density so as to enable longer shutter speeds in very bright conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Williams View Post
    In my opinion a 45mm m4/3 lens is more of a portrait lens then anything. A more general purpose lens would be nearer 25mm, which is a 50mm full frame equivalent.

Also check out Finnish prices, because Finland is normally regards as being an expensive place to live.

Olympus tend not to supply lens hoods as standard, while Panasonic generally do. I seldom bother with filters, but do use a polarizer on two of my Sony lenses where appropriate. It could be that you could make good use of one of these in Pakistan, or otherwise a suitable dark filter of neutral density so as to enable longer shutter speeds in very bright conditions.

Thanks Huw but that's the extra lens which I mentioned is costing around 560USD here in Pakistan where as the price on amazon is 310USD. I guess the prices will not be so much higher in Finland...

Can you please recommend a good 25mm lens?

I really have no idea about the filter, could you please recommend me one. The one which can protect the camera lens (basically save my investment :P)

As for the camera which one would you recommend Olympus E-PM2(with 14-42mm Lens) or Olympus E-PL5 (with 14-42mm Lens)

Quote Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post
    Thanks Huw but that's the extra lens which I mentioned is costing around 560USD here in Pakistan where as the price on amazon is 310USD. I guess the prices will not be so much higher in Finland...

Can you please recommend a good 25mm lens?

I really have no idea about the filter, could you please recommend me one. The one which can protect the camera lens (basically save my investment :P)

As for the camera which one would you recommend Olympus E-PM2(with 14-42mm Lens) or Olympus E-PL5 (with 14-42mm Lens)
    I'm afraid I have zero experience of Olympus cameras and seldom bother with filters. The lens hood gives all the protection I need.
    I'm sure that you have explored this web site and read reviews for these cameras on other sites as well. These will explain about them in some detail.