Thread: what to buy

Default what to buy

i am looking at buying a high end compact and have narrowed it down to either the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 or the Fujifilm FinePix X100S and i was hoping for views on which is the best and any other cameras i may have missed

You've missed a whole catalogue full of cameras, but never mind and let's concentrate on the two mentioned.
    You might have noticed that one is a rangefinder style, fixed focal length camera while the other is an SLR style, fixed lens, high end big travel-zoom? Quite what they have in common apart from a price of around 1000, beats me.
    Both are, no doubt, excellent examples of their type. Probably the best. You'll just have to decide which suits you best. Only you can know whether a fixed focal length with its undoubted style and high user satisfaction experience beats the superb quality and environmentally resistant, superbly specified, zoomy Sony.

Thanks for that I should have explained I am newby who wants to get a high spec compact camera and I probably need advice on how to narrow done the options I just looked on line and these 2 I listed seemed to be high quality and high spec I think I want one with large sensor and good size zoom

Quote Originally Posted by honkey1 View Post
    Thanks for that I should have explained I am newby who wants to get a high spec compact camera and I probably need advice on how to narrow done the options I just looked on line and these 2 I listed seemed to be high quality and high spec I think I want one with large sensor and good size zoom
    The Fuji X100S has no zoom whatsoever, which eliminates the most compact of your camera duo before you start. The RX10 is very far from being compact by any normal standard, so that eliminates your second option.

It is virtually impossible to suggest what will be a satisfactory camera for you, as the only consistent criteria I can isolate so far is that you expect to spend 1000, give or take.

What do you consider to be 'compact', and what sort of zoom range do you want? Do you wish for a fixed lens or interchangeable lens? What is your experience so far? Do you wish to 'point and shoot' or do you want more artistic control with a sophisticated camera capable of manual, semi-manual and all the tricks and options on the camera? Have you the patience and wherewithal to learn how to use a camera manually in different modes and adjust it just-so?

These are just some of the questions to ask before you will find an answer of substance.

Images

hi what do you want to shoot

How about using the Panasonic Lumix GX7 with the 14-140 as a starting point? The body is as compact as the Fuji mentioned, the lens is a 10x zoom and excellent, compact and light as these thing go. The sensor size is between that of the RX 10 and the Fuji 100s

hi all being a newbie i am not really expressing what i want which is a high quality camera that is not a slr its seems that if you want a large zoom you have to sacrifice sensor size/quaulity so i want something that has a great sensor with a reasonable size zoom that gives me top quality pictures i know the 2 i asked about are different but i was hoping that someone would tell me that one of them would give me close to what i was hoping for i don't need a massive zoom as i will be taking holiday snaps but i want as many options available so that in most instances i can take a great quality picture thanks for all your responses i hope this helps clarify what i need

Quote Originally Posted by honkey1 View Post
    hi all being a newbie i am not really expressing what i want which is a high quality camera that is not a slr its seems that if you want a large zoom you have to sacrifice sensor size/quaulity so i want something that has a great sensor with a reasonable size zoom that gives me top quality pictures i know the 2 i asked about are different but i was hoping that someone would tell me that one of them would give me close to what i was hoping for i don't need a massive zoom as i will be taking holiday snaps but i want as many options available so that in most instances i can take a great quality picture thanks for all your responses i hope this helps clarify what i need
    Have a look at the Olympus Stylus 1 for a more compact fixed lens advanced camera. This can fit in a jacket pocket. Then there's a whole raft of very good advanced compacts that tend to have around 4x zoom, such as the Fuji X20 which I own am very happy with.

These typically have sensors that are around four times as big as standard compact cameras, even high travel-zoom ones like the Panasonic TZ35/40 or new 55/60. The most covenant and versatile compact travel-zooms are the pocketable TZ60 type. The TZ60 has geo-tagging, wi-fi, all kinds of modes and manual functions and up to 30X zoom, but their weak point is low light performance and ultimate picture quality if you pixel-peep. General performance and picture quality might surprise you though. You don't want one of these though, so start with the bigger advanced compacts mentioned above.

If you are considering the X20 or similar class then you will also be in the market for a compact system camera, which usually comes with a 3x zoom kit lens. This gives you the option of adding a longer zoom lens or high quality prime fixed focal length lens to complement it. There is a vast choice of this type of camera to suit all tastes and budgets, with and without viewfinders and so on.

Personally for your use, I would maybe concentrate on the Olympus Stylus1, Fuji X20, Panasonic LX7, Sony RX100 Mk2, Canon G16 in the compacts, the Stylus 1 being particularly interesting.

Then for a system camera, look at the Panasonic GX7, Sony NEX5T, Fuji X series and so on.

You will have to see, handle and judge these things for yourself, because only you know what you want and like at the end of the day.

Images

A great thing to do now is go and try them out see how they feel it may make your mind up