Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should You Rate Your Own Photos

I've noticed in the Galleries that some photographer's star their own work. Is this the right thing to do? what do you think?
    ATB
    TK

Images

Hi TK ........I'm not sure that rating (high or low) is worth anything anyway unless its backed up by contructive advice or the very least a reason for liking an image. As for rating ones own images I wasn't even aware it was possible........it certainly isn't something I'd consider as being useful, and in my humble opinion renders the star ratings as virtually meaningless. Something that should be addressed and well done for bringing it to the forum to raise awareness!

Hi Alf, Glad your still around, yes if you click on the "Star Rating Downward Pointing Sign" you will see "View Other Members Ratings" click on that and it will show who has rated your shot. You have to sign in to do that.
    ATB
    TK

Images

TK ....Many Thanks for the explanation I now see exactly what and who you are referring to. It would be good to get a view from the administrators too!

Actually there are a few that do it, don't understand it myself. A bit vain I think.
    ATB
    TK

Images

Don't think the ratings really do anything, so not sure it matters. They're there to help the photographer - it hardly does that if people rate their own!

Images

This caused a bit rammy a year or so back, A forum member Micklemass gave some low grade marks to other peoples photos and gave his own high stars, and he got flung off the site for it. I think the very fact we put our photos on a site means we think they are good anyway. I was going to give a photo 5 stars last week but the person had voted for himself so I didn't bother

Images

TK
    I just noticed you have 205 posts to your credit, and you are still classed as a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by graham_c View Post
    TK
    I just noticed you have 205 posts to your credit, and you are still classed as a beginner?
    What does that mean?
    ATB
    TK

Quote Originally Posted by NRoberts View Post
    Don't think the ratings really do anything, so not sure it matters. They're there to help the photographer - it hardly does that if people rate their own!
    Can't this be put forward to your January meeting, the site surely could be altered so you could not vote for your own photos. As I said before the site needs updating, I don't mean that in a bad way, however, maintenance and updating seem very rare.
    All The Best
    TK