Lightbulb Nikon D610 vs. Canon 6D (Filmmaking)

I am looking to buy a HDSLR as an entry into filmmaking, I wanted to not buy a lower spec camera first but actually go all out and purchase a model with a full-frame sensor.

I found the Nikon D600 first and looked at the quality of video that can be produced and learnt that this camera has so much potential. I then learnt that the D610 was released as there were a few minor faults with the D600 (dust/oil on sensor), they also made a couple minor things better but they are 99.9% the same camera, D610 being the faultless model.

I then was told by my friend who is biased toward Canon anyway, to check out the 6D. Both of these cameras have full frame sensors and are brilliant for film making. The Nikon would be better for action shooting (photos) but there really aren't major differences between the two. 6D has wifi and GPS where the Nikon has a pop-up flash, 2 SD slots and also a headphone out port unlike the Canon. Both cameras work well in low-light situations, the Canon able to reach a higher ISO. I was also told Canon should have the advantage for video as they have apparently produced cameras with video capabilities much longer than Nikon have.

What I would like to know is in the long run, which camera is better and more suited for filmmaking and why? Is there an equal amount of equipment available for either? Is there any other model of camera in the same league and similar price? The Canon I can get for 100-200 cheaper, but that isn't a bother as I would rather get the better camera. (Though I won't stretch higher than 1,200 absolute maximum)

Both similar price, but diving into something like this I would like to try and find a clear winner. All help appreciated, thank you.

Images

not really into movies but i would look at a 70d with its touch swivel screen

Since both cameras are quite similar in a few respects I guess the best way to choose the one for you would be to rent them and spend day playing around with them and then see which one you like the feel of better.

Review From Amazon on the Canon 6D
    Having spent some time working with the camera on a two week family trip to rural Portugal, I am now in a position to give a more authoritative review of the 6D. Though I am not in the camp of moaners who say `why hasn't it got this' or `the Nikon xxx is better as it has this', etc, I do have one or two small criticisms (see below).
    As an introduction, here is a summary of strengths and weaknesses:
    Pros
    * Excellent image quality, in both RAW and JPEG, ability to produce clean images up to 10,000 ISO and acceptable images at H2 - 102,500 ISO!
    * Hence, great versatility with available light and indoor situations and street shooting at night
    * Noiseless images up to 1000 ISO at least, with the L 50 ISO setting producing superb images
    * Incredibly versatile photographic tool - with FF and massively usable ISO range, this is a superb machine for reportage, travel, landscape, social and documentary photography
    * With WiFi capability, it should be good enough for light duty studio and location work too
    * Tested with 24-105L, 17-40L, 28mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 EF lenses. Lack of vignetting with all tested wide open and stopped down and at wide ends on the zooms. The 24-105L - a notorious lens for vignetting at the wide end - seemed to be trouble free
    * State of the art low light focussing ability: EV -3 apparently. The best of any Canon DSLR I have used. Significantly better than the 7D and 1Dx
    * Silent shooting mode a real boon. Very quiet operation for a FF camera (even in non-silent mode) - the shutter release is significantly quieter than the 5D's. I was able to take photographs during a church mass with no problems
    * Commendable battery life. Same LP-E6 battery as most EOS cameras above the 600-series. The first charge with the new battery gave me realistically about 400 exposures before I recharged it. However, this involved the usual experimentation one does with a new camera, a lot of playing around with the GPS, etc so I would expect real world use to give at least 600 shots or more
    * Shutter speed of 4.5 fps is good enough for me. As a travel photographer, probably 99.5% of the all the images I have ever taken have been `single shot'
    * Though the 6D supposedly has a `cheaper' focussing system, with fewer focussing points, I found the system commendable fast and efficient. But I don't really do sports photography (see review below)
    * Metering is excellent - less need to use Manual setting that I had to a lot with the 5D mk2. Flash system as good as we have come to expect from recent EOS cameras
    * Compact size but solid 7D-like construction, controls fall easily to hand, great for travel, cycling, walking. Very light too. Slightly narrower than 7D but deeper by a tad and taller.
    * Very customisable with extensive menu and custom functions settings.
    * Use of SD cards is a bonus in many ways (see below).
    * SET button, with concentric multi-controller ring and rear control wheel work very well, but might be a struggle with large or gloved or cold hands.

Cons
    The first is a major Con - the remainder minor:
    * No instant on (or a customisable button) for GPS - requires several menu shifts (see below).
    * No Mn-F button
    * No option of viewfinder superimposed grid (a la 7D)
    * No internal wireless flash transmitter
    * Not a 100% field of view viewfinder (a criticism of most EOS cameras from me)
    * No built-in viewfinder rear shutter (ditto)
    * Only 5 choices can be registered on My Menu (why so parsimonious?)
    * Unnecessary SCENE, Green Square A+ and CA settings on top dial. Better to have C3 (in addition to C1 and C2) and `GPS On'.

Review From Amazon on the Nikon D610
    I'm not one for writing reviews about products as I usually just prefer to get out and enjoy my purchases rather than bleet on about how fantastic, or not as the case may be, they are. However, this camera is seriously great and I think it warrants a quick write up, and after all, I'm sure there's a few of you who will find my comments of some interest.

Let me start by saying that I am a converted Canon user of old and came from a 5D mk2 with some nice L glass to go with it. I sold off the Canon stuff and picked up a D7000 with a couple of DX lenses and was blown away with the image quality that this crop sensor could produce. For me personally, I realised that Nikon bodies were beating Canon stuff and so I started building my collection of Nikon glass.
    At the start of this year I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a Nikon D4 and this of course has really set the bench mark as far as DSLR's go. When the D600 was announced I was excited as the crop sensor of the D7000 was becoming an irritation when using it as a second or backup to my D4 as I had to take into account the crop factor with my FX glass, and so the D600 seemed to offer the best package for my needs (the D800 was overkill for me at 36mp).

I've only had the D600 for a coupe of days now but it has far exceeded my expectations. The body is small, certainly compared with the D4, but it is chunkier and feels much more solid in the hands than the D7000. It certainly feels a little heavier than the D7k which I like as it seems to balance better with heavy glass on the front. The build quality is good, and whilst it does have some plastic parts it does not feel cheap or delicate.

Positives:

- High ISO performance is outstanding. DxO rate this camera as having the third best sensor in the world, after the D800e and D800. Not bad for a sub 2k camera.
    - Handling and ergonomics are very nice indeed (for my hands anyway). I have configured the AE/L AF/L button to be 'AF-ON' and it sits nicely under my thumb. The grip fits my hands well and has enough size to allow my fingers to wrap round securely. Certainly more so than the D7000, but clearly not as much as the D4.
    - Image quality is exceptional. The 24mp files are big and really pull out tonnes of fine detail, also allowing room for croppiing. The IQ as far as detail slightly trumps the D4 I would say. But of course the D4 is a different beast altogether :-).
    - So far I have not had to apply any AF fine tuning with any of my lenses. Interestingly I did have to tweak a couple of lenses on my D4.
    - The AF system is excellent. I have heard people say it is the same AF module lifted from the D7k but I have also read that Nikon have tweaked it somewhat. I thnk it shows as it seems snappier and slightly more accurate than the D7k.

Negatives:

- The plasticy feel of some parts of the camera is a little cheap perhaps, but not offensive. The battery door feels a bit flimsy and doesn't seem to sit completely flush against the bottom of the camera for example. But, I think I am a bit spoilt with the D4 which feels like a tank, so anything else feels a little less solid now.

Thats about my only real minor niggle, but apart from that I can't fault this camera at all. Its really superb and I think represents an excellent option for those looking to get into FF photography, but also those looking for a smaller lighter FF backup or second body.

Personally I think Nikon have done it again and are really leading the way now with DSLR cameras. Canon have their work cut out over the next few years thats for sure. Especially after their recent 6D launch! Oh dear.

Sorry the above is for the D600.
    ATB
    TK

Reviews From Amazon On The Nikon D610
    Fantastic full-frame camera which offers everything it promises and more. I have been down and out shooting landscapes and macro and I am really not disappointed. Great clarity, easy handling, good solid piece of hi-tech. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

I bought this camera as an upgrade for my well used D70 which has served me very well. The camera is fantastic, I've shot approximately 1000 frames in the first cpl of weeks and can't put the camera down. The image quality from the full frame sensor is sublime. If your looking for a full frame digital camera buy this one!!

I bought this entry level full camera bring me to a new level of photography. It simply stunning the picture I took with 50mm 1.8D. The camera is handheld and very handy. It is an amazing and outstanding performance FX camera and very love it! The Nikon D610 is simply an identical replacement from D600 with the oil/dust problem solved without any doubt! But this camera should be owned for whom want to jump into full frame camera! Good job Nikon!