Hybrid View

Default Safari / gorilla trekking camera(s)

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to cameras, I have played about with slrs before and primarily use a fujiflim hs10 bridge camera as my holiday and day to day camera.

My wife and I Have a trip planed for next July to go to uganda for a couple of weeks to do gorilla and chimp trekking as well as doing general safari experiences (lions, elephants, buffalo, birds etc).

We are unsure of what the best cameras are to buy as I believe the gorillas will be very close, around 5 meters away but there will be very low light as they are in the middle of the jungle which will have a canopy. The humidity and chance of rain will also be very high so I am not sure if we will need rain covers etc.

For doing the chimp trekking we are likely to be a little further away, probably a max closeness of 10 meters and it is likely the area they are In the lighting may be slightly better.

For general safari the lighting will be bright as it will be open savanna mostly however they could be very far away at times.

My initial thoughts was that we may buy 2 cameras something that is good in low light with a high ISO (a dslr) and then something that has a big zoom (like the panasonic fz72 bridge camera). I was hoping that my wife and myself will get some good snaps with both cameras at all locations but we know that 1 camera may better suited to the shooting conditions in each location.

Because we are on a bit of a budget I was also thinking of looking at second hand camera. Any thoughts on this?

Any advice/ thoughts.

Images

Approaching within 5m of wild animals is probably not a good idea. Far better to get a long range camera and lens, this way you can keep your distance and the animals will act more naturally as they go about their daily routines. Their are plenty of good zoom cameras that will fill your needs The Panasonic range you suggest is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by hartley353 View Post
    Approaching within 5m of wild animals is probably not a good idea. Far better to get a long range camera and lens, this way you can keep your distance and the animals will act more naturally as they go about their daily routines. Their are plenty of good zoom cameras that will fill your needs The Panasonic range you suggest is a good start.
    I dont think you have much a choice in distance to be honest as remember this is in the thick of the jungle so if you are far away you wont see anything. Plus you have guides who take you to a set distance around the gorillas which is roughly 5m+

Images

I didn't mean to deter you from your holiday in any way, but the disturbance to the animals at 5m is not acceptable, get a copy of Gorillas in the mist this will give you an idea of the environment they live in. Better no picture or a poor picture than the disturbance of these animals. If you are also to film plains animals you should come home with some lovely memories and images. In many cases the animals will come to you out of curiosity have a great trip.