Thread: What SD card ?

Default What SD card ?

Just buying a new camera (Canon G16)

This can take SDHC or SDXC UHS-1 ...... from my look at specs .. max write speed would be when using 1920 x 1080 60fps video

Canon state this as being 32GB for 121min of video ........ quick division shows that this equates to 3.2Mb/s
    So does this mean that I might as well buy Sandisk Extreme SDHC cards ....... these are 45 mb/s , and there is nothing but extra cost (no benefit) to buying Sandisk Extreme Pro 90Mb/s cards.

Both are Class 10 UHS-1 cards

Quote Originally Posted by Sargan View Post
    Just buying a new camera (Canon G16)

This can take SDHC or SDXC UHS-1 ...... from my look at specs .. max write speed would be when using 1920 x 1080 60fps video

Canon state this as being 32GB for 121min of video ........ quick division shows that this equates to 3.2Mb/s
    So does this mean that I might as well buy Sandisk Extreme SDHC cards ....... these are 45 mb/s , and there is nothing but extra cost (no benefit) to buying Sandisk Extreme Pro 90Mb/s cards.

Both are Class 10 UHS-1 cards
    Those are their read speeds in all probability, not their write speed, which will be slower. Nevertheless any Class10 card will be more than adequate for your need and you will not need to buy the very expensive fast one. I recently bought two Samsung Pro high speed cards, 16gig for less than 10 each delivered, from Amazon. I have previously bought the silver and orange 45Mb/s Samsung cards and found them perfect. The only reason I went for the faster card this time was that they from a bulk pack and priced right.
    I prefer 16gig cards to 32gig cards, although I also have one of them, because the 32gig just hold too many images and too much video to be practical for me. If you do shoot hours of video a day, of course the 32gig would be the best choice. You will find that the longest video file you can shoot with the Canon is probably just shy of 30 minutes. You can restart another file and do the same again of course. Just thought it worth a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Williams View Post
    Those are their read speeds in all probability, not their write speed, which will be slower. Nevertheless any Class10 card will be more than adequate for your need and you will not need to buy the very expensive fast one. I recently bought two Samsung Pro high speed cards, 16gig for less than 10 each delivered, from Amazon. I have previously bought the silver and orange 45Mb/s Samsung cards and found them perfect. The only reason I went for the faster card this time was that they from a bulk pack and priced right.
    I prefer 16gig cards to 32gig cards, although I also have one of them, because the 32gig just hold too many images and too much video to be practical for me. If you do shoot hours of video a day, of course the 32gig would be the best choice. You will find that the longest video file you can shoot with the Canon is probably just shy of 30 minutes. You can restart another file and do the same again of course. Just thought it worth a mention.

Thanks for that ... for video my sums make it fine, slightly confused over Continuous stills shooting though........ is is 12fps (@12Mp) for first 6 then 9fps for as long as card capacity lasts ...
    am I going wrong here ... 12fps is 12 x 12 = 144Mb/s ..... 12 x 9 = 108Mb/s ......
    Does this mean you can never take a 12 fps burst as it can't write to the card faster than 45Mb/s ?

I can't find any mention of G16 having a buffer - in fact they say it handles continuous shooting so does not need a buffer ? .... how

Quote Originally Posted by Sargan View Post
    Thanks for that ... for video my sums make it fine, slightly confused over Continuous stills shooting though........ is is 12fps (@12Mp) for first 6 then 9fps for as long as card capacity lasts ...
    am I going wrong here ... 12fps is 12 x 12 = 144Mb/s ..... 12 x 9 = 108Mb/s ......
    Does this mean you can never take a 12 fps burst as it can't write to the card faster than 45Mb/s ?

I can't find any mention of G16 having a buffer - in fact they say it handles continuous shooting so does not need a buffer ? .... how
    It must have a buffer. I don't have the Canon but do have a Panasonic G6. Regardless of which class10 card I use, when shooting at the 40fps mode I get 39 shots at a lower resolution than normal, before it slows down. The card is not the limiting factor up to when the camera buffer fills as far as I can see. No doubt if you compared a class10 to a class4 it could be a different story.

seen quite a few blackfriday deals on dabs and amazon for these. Got a class 10 64gb for 35 last saturday

was that Extreme or Extreme Pro ?

looking again its a Samsung not Sandisk. No mention of the extreme or pro