Default Complete camera novice!

Hi all

Knowing nothing at all about cameras (I don't and have never owned one my phone is good enough for the rare picture I take) I need to buy a camera for my Mrs for Christmas.

Now my Mrs loves to take a phone and on holiday or any social occasion clicks away all the time. Normally taking pictures of the little man (he is only 5). Anyway he always moves and the delay from the time she presses the button and it actually takes the shot really you know whats her off. The problem was tried to be addressed last Christmas however the camera her Dad bought her was too large to go in her pocket hence still uses the previous one.

I guess I'm looking for a pocket camera that has a fast press the button to response of taking the picture time.

Budget circa £100 maybe a tad less if I can.

Any suggestions would be great received.

Thanks in advance. G.

Images

hi and welcome not sure what phone you have but at the budget you have set then i would say that you won't see much difference with a camera. to get a camera thats quicker then you need to up your budget and then you are at high end bridge and then bordering on a DSLR, which again won't fit into a pocket. sorry to be negative

Quote Originally Posted by gregsahorn View Post
    Hi all

Knowing nothing at all about cameras (I don't and have never owned one my phone is good enough for the rare picture I take) I need to buy a camera for my Mrs for Christmas.

Now my Mrs loves to take a phone and on holiday or any social occasion clicks away all the time. Normally taking pictures of the little man (he is only 5). Anyway he always moves and the delay from the time she presses the button and it actually takes the shot really you know whats her off. The problem was tried to be addressed last Christmas however the camera her Dad bought her was too large to go in her pocket hence still uses the previous one.

I guess I'm looking for a pocket camera that has a fast press the button to response of taking the picture time.

Budget circa £100 maybe a tad less if I can.

Any suggestions would be great received.

Thanks in advance. G.
    Pretty much whatever you can find that is in your price range, at that price all of them are faster than camera phones, mine is **** like hers, as for the other poster that replied, he would suggest the best camera on the market to everyone. i'm biased I'd say look for the camera that has the best battery life, preferably one that takes AA or AAA batteries so you don't have to take a charger and you can buy batteries anywhere, Fuji do great cameras at that price, I use an FM70EXR though there are probably better cameras around and that one doesn't take AA's though I know some do. (other guy: D600 with 50f1.4 and 16-24 28-70 70-200 f2.8 Nikor glass as well before you start flaring nostrils)

If you have a good smartphone with a good camera on it, don't waste money on a sub£100 camera because you already have one that is at least as good in most important ways. If her phone hasn't got a good camera, that's a different story. But your budget won't buy anything that will do much better than what you've got. Every real camera needs time to focus and good phone/cams are as fast as any in my experience of both iPhone and mid-range Android ones.

My advice would be to buy her a bigger handbag and get her into the habit of putting that bigger camera she's already got into it. Women like handbags more than cameras as a generality. My daughter has just bought a nice but older Mullberry handbag off ebay that will easily carry a reasonably sized camera and more.
    This is 'what handbag.com' isn't it?
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 28-11-13 at 09:45 AM.

Images

I would agree with Huw and Wave, and disagree strongly with the other poster - less shutter lag involves bigger cameras and spending more - at that price, none of them are any better than camera phones.

"I would agree with Huw and Wave, and disagree strongly with the other poster - less shutter lag involves bigger cameras and spending more - at that price, none of them are any better than camera phones. "

Are you confusing AF lag? Start-up time? I can wait all day in poor light for some very large cameras to fire. Fixed focus cameras have no lag, but then they rely on a small aperature and wide depth of field. Nothing like an opinion backed by fact, and devoid of generalisations.

One thing has occurred to me about lag. Could this be about the lag when trying to quickly shoot several times manually, as opposed to in burst mode? If so and in my experience, the most likely culprit for slowing shot to shot time is either taking Jpeg and RAW files, where the camera needs time to write large files to the card [Samsung NX1000 is bad for that and so are a couple of top-end Nikon advanced compacts apparently]. Or, more likely, is that the camera is set to review shots just taken, on the rear screen. Many cameras, even basic compacts, have the option of reviewing pictures for 1second, or two or three, or indeed of turning the feature off. Turn it off! This will greatly reduce the minimum time between shots from a minimum of 1sec to being as fast as you can repeatedly press the shutter button.

As for focussing time, that can be minimised by setting a camera to 'continuous AF' in the menu where available. Most cameras do default to continuous AF when in the fully Auto mode in any case.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 29-11-13 at 03:17 PM.