Hybrid View

Default Replacement for my Lumix TZ18

Hi and thanks for letting me join.

I've been using my TZ18 for around three years now and have been mostly impressed with it.
    I like the range of controls and have been happy with the results.
    I do a lot of video for my YouTube channel (you can find it as my home page link) as well as a lot of photos of varying subjects.

One bug my TZ18 has always had is dust on the sensor and annoyingly it messed up a lot of videos when I was in Antigua recently.

However, worse was to come, I was happily videoing some amazing sea views with waves crashing etc when a freak wave got me and the camera.
    Well the poor thing failed almost immediately! After some emergency rinsing and drying it has 90% recovered but is very sick, lots of noise and many switch off and re start errors.

So its time to get a new one and to be honest despite reading the reviews I am confused.

The TZ35 looks a strong contender but I have read that the battery needs to be charged in the camera which will be a pain!
    Is it the same battery as my TZ18 uses? if it is then I have two spares and a way to charge it outside.

The TZ40 would be a good one, but I don't see any need for wifi, so would be spending more on something I'll never use.

Then I have looked at the Lumix LF1 and LX7.
    These look good, no flash on the LX7
    Again I'd need to know about batteries.

So there we have it, need an upgrade, TZ18 I loved and want the same or better functions.

Can you help?

Thanks

[QUOTE=MikesMovies;11891]Hi and thanks for letting me join.

So its time to get a new one and to be honest despite reading the reviews I am confused.

The TZ35 looks a strong contender but I have read that the battery needs to be charged in the camera which will be a pain!
    Is it the same battery as my TZ18 uses? if it is then I have two spares and a way to charge it outside.

The TZ40 would be a good one, but I don't see any need for wifi, so would be spending more on something I'll never use.

Then I have looked at the Lumix LF1 and LX7.
    These look good, no flash on the LX7
    Again I'd need to know about batteries.

So there we have it, need an upgrade, TZ18 I loved and want the same or better functions.

I DONT KNOW WHY YOU ARE PREPARED TO POSE THE QUESTION TO US WHJEN ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS LOOK UP SOMEONE SELLING THEM ON EBAY :
    DMW-BCG10 DMW-BCG10E Battery for Panasonic Lumix TZ6 TZ7 TZ8 TZ10 TZ20 TZ18 TZ30

BATTERY CHARGER FOR PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-TZ40, DMC-TZ41 DIGITAL CAMERA DMW-BCM13
    B58U Two DMW-BCM13 Battery + Charger for Panasonic DMC FT5 DMC TZ40 DMC TZ41

If you look you will see you can buy an external charger, and batteries for either camera. Am I being tested, did God give me a brain to tease me by not giving one to anyone else?

Just buy a Sony Rx100 now they have come down to under 400 thanks to the release of the RX100ii and you will be able to shoot nice quiet video in near darkness, or in bright sunlight at f1.8 using the ND filters built in. Panasonic dropped the ball! The Zeiss f1.8 lens is a match for a Leica lens. The RX100ii has an extra stop thanks to it's back lit sensor, you can fit an evf for 260 and the screen is 1.4meg pixel and articulates. If you shoot video upside down, the camera flips it for you, and you can use your phone to view the output if you need to raise the camera 10ft above you in a crowd and still film! Good eh? 330shot battery life sucks though.

Quote Originally Posted by SMA11FRY View Post

I DONT KNOW WHY YOU ARE PREPARED TO POSE THE QUESTION TO US WHJEN ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS LOOK UP SOMEONE SELLING THEM ON EBAY :
    DMW-BCG10 DMW-BCG10E Battery for Panasonic Lumix TZ6 TZ7 TZ8 TZ10 TZ20 TZ18 TZ30

BATTERY CHARGER FOR PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-TZ40, DMC-TZ41 DIGITAL CAMERA DMW-BCM13
    B58U Two DMW-BCM13 Battery + Charger for Panasonic DMC FT5 DMC TZ40 DMC TZ41

If you look you will see you can buy an external charger, and batteries for either camera. Am I being tested, did God give me a brain to tease me by not giving one to anyone else?

Just buy a Sony Rx100 now they have come down to under 400 thanks to the release of the RX100ii and you will be able to shoot nice quiet video in near darkness, or in bright sunlight at f1.8 using the ND filters built in. Panasonic dropped the ball! The Zeiss f1.8 lens is a match for a Leica lens. The RX100ii has an extra stop thanks to it's back lit sensor, you can fit an evf for 260 and the screen is 1.4meg pixel and articulates. If you shoot video upside down, the camera flips it for you, and you can use your phone to view the output if you need to raise the camera 10ft above you in a crowd and still film! Good eh? 330shot battery life sucks though.
    Well what an odd reply! highly unfriendly yet full of good information! if you work on your presentation I am sure we will see your posts count going above 2 as once the wise cracks are dropped and you accept that not everyone has the same outstanding level of internet skills as yourself your future posts will be highly valued by us lesser mortals!
    I'll look at the Rx100 but am still sold on the Lumix range.
    Thanks

Hi all, having looked deeper, it seems that the TZ35 offers me a good upgrade while keeping all the features I liked in the TZ18, plus it does look like I'll be able to use my existing batteries and charger with it.
    Only thing I've not yet found out is can I shoot video as 1280X720 HD with the TZ35?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikesMovies View Post
    Hi all, having looked deeper, it seems that the TZ35 offers me a good upgrade while keeping all the features I liked in the TZ18, plus it does look like I'll be able to use my existing batteries and charger with it.
    Only thing I've not yet found out is can I shoot video as 1280X720 HD with the TZ35?

Thanks
    HD Video 1920 x 1080 pixels, 50i (FHD: 17Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor output is 25p) / 1280 x 720 pixels, 50p (HD: 17Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor output is 25p) / 1920 x 1080 pixels, 25fps (FHD: 20Mbps / MP4) / 1280 x 720 pixels, 25fps (HD: 10Mbps / MP4)
    You are right I shouldn't be rude, but my dad said, if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, if you don't teach him to fish, he begs at your door.

720p 50 is what you are looking for it means 1280 pixels across by 720 lines down at 50 complete un-interlaced frames per second. You will get nice steady pictures with less flicker but 1920x1080 at 25 fops will flicker and smear on motion but on a tripod with a stationary or barely/slowly moving subject, sharper pictures. 720p 50 will be fabulous for your choo choo trains, with all that steam. enjoy.

Hi Sma11fry thanks very much and glad we are all sorted
    OK I'll check that, I need to be careful about file size as my rather old PC won't put up with anything much bigger lol, just about manages with 1280x720 HD.
    I am sure my choo choos will look fab LOL cheers