Default Upgrading from APS-C Nikon D7000 to full-frame camera

Hello WDC,

I am currently using a Nikon D7000 with three lenses (an 18-105 zoom and two primes). I am looking to upgrade to a Nikon D610 in the next few months.

But the launch of the new Sony A7 and A7R full-frame CSC cameras have left me in two-minds.

I use my D7000 for studio,portrait,fashion and glamour images plus some landscapes and some weddings.

I like the fact that there are already a range of Nikon, Sigma and Tamron lenses for the Nikon D610.

Is it worth going for the Sony camera and waiting for the new lenses to come on-stream over the coming months ?

Or is the tried-and-tested route of a DSLR a better choice ?

Many thanks

freedriv082000

Images

first question why full frame do you really need it. next you have a money invested in nikon how much can you sell your gear for. I would try a sony see if you like the eve view finger

Wave,

I am looking to move to full-frame for the improved picture quality. I am not planning to sell any of my existing gear. I will keep my Nikon D7000 and lenses as a back-up. I am 90% that I will buy the Nikon D610, but the Sony A7 has added a "fly in the ointment" to my decision.

Images

Hi what i would do is go to a shop and take a picture with your d7000 and then with the d610 and see what difference there is. the best upgrade i have ever done is buy and L series lens the difference in quality could be seen straight away

Images

Hi
    I upgraded to full frame from the D7000, and I have no regrets at all. The model I chose was the D600, you must remember you also have to buy the FX range of lens as well to obtain the full benefits of the full frame sensor. There is also a dust/oil problem with the D600 and focus issues with the D800, so you must be sure before you buy. I can recommend Amazon as a good place to buy, you must look at the G series of FX lens I can also recommend the old D series which you can get second hand from 123 Photographs.
    I have no knowledge of the new Nikon D610 but best of luck with your purchasing.
    Kind Regards
    TK

[QUOTE=Tillerykid;11889]Hi
    Same here, I would however add that the change from D7000 threw up quite a change in the amount of noise on the D7000. Dont get me wrong, the D7000 is a fabulous camera, but the D600 is streaks ahead. 16megpixels on a DX frame equates to 32Megs on an FX frame, but the D600 only has 24, so it equates to 50% larger photo sites, with a greater sensitivity. The Df, D600 and D610 all have their 39 AF points in the centre of the frame, which equates to the DX frame, so no advantage over the D7000's metering/AF. The D4 and Df have a 16mpixel fx sensor so they should show better sensitivity, The D800 can interpolate two pixels 3times to achieve the same sensitivity, with higher resolution. the D3x who knows, cant afford one!

If all this sounds like garbage, just buy the camera you feel happiest with, I doubt you will find them lacking or be disappointed, but I would say, understanding does wonders for your creativity, and allows you the latitude to make the most of your purchase, rather than just show your mates you spent a fortune so you must be good!

I forgot the **** on the sensor, mine gets cleaned once a week, and there is nowhere for the fluid to go carrying the ****, so it settles back. You never seem to win unless you are prepared to wipe it clean with 5 or so swabs....the D7000 was easy with all that off sensor space around it. If you dont have the balls to clean a DSLR you either dont shoot enough or had better buy a fixed lens camera, or lenses that dont suck in ****, not least spew oil everywhere.
    Last edited by SMA11FRY; 24-11-13 at 04:13 PM.

Why would you? The D610 will last you maybe 5yrs at most, F-mount lenses a lifetime. The lenses will work on your next camera. The f2.8 Nikons are regarded as the best. The Sony lenses are likely to be replaced and not fit any camera after this one.
    the f-mount has been around since 1957 and you can use or adapt almost every mount lens with a D610. It will give you a 16mpixel image from your Dx lenses, so you can replace them as you can afford to. You can't do that with the Sony. The D600 and D610 are an absolute bargain. Nikon will fix any splatter issue free in 2 weeks with a thorough clean so D600 secondhand is also a bargain, if you can find anyone parting with one. I know D4 and D800 owners who have bought them as second bodies, and are preferring them.
    Last edited by SMA11FRY; 25-11-13 at 06:56 PM.