Thread: Canon 650D

Default Canon 650D

I upgraded my 450d to the 650 just before Christmas the photos so far are great but I am having a number if issues with video clips.

Unfortunately the helpful folks where I bought it are no longer open.

Firstly the movies were ruined by green sound bars across the pictures when played back on windows but on real player or QuickTime its clear.

However the focusing on moving subjects is poor and there is terrible sound noise from the lens constantly refocusing.

Is this a common problem or do I have a faulty camera

Firstly, the green bars are obviously a playback issue to do with Windows and not a camera fault. Not being a Windows user I can't help there but it seems they play back fine on Real Player and Quicktime so I'd stick with those.
    Now for the hard truth - autofocus in video mode on DSLRs is universally pretty terrible. Until recently you couldn't get AF in movie mode at all on DSLRs. Now you can, but it tends to hunt. There's also an issue with the way that still cameras are designed to achieve focus as quickly as possible, so lenses tend to jerk suddenly into focus, whereas lenses designed for video focus more smoothly and seamlessy (but more slowly). Canon recently released a couple of lenses designed for video with a new type of motor called STM - a 40mm and 18-135mm. The new STM lenses are better for video than USM but they're not quite as fast for stills.
    The motor noise from your lens is the other problem that you get with AF on DSLRs, as the lenses contain motors which get picked up by the mic. Again, the STM lenses are quieter for this reason, so should fix that. If you shoot a lot of video, the 18-135mm STm may be worth looking at.

Alternatively, switch to manual focus, like the pros and serious videographers use - they'd never touch AF. We shoot about 20 videos per month at WDC for our website, mostly using Canon equipment, and we ALWAYS use manual focus. Its much better with non moving subjects and looks a lot more professional, though practice is required if trying to focus manually on moving subjects.

Images

Which lens are you using?

It's the 18-55mm lens that comes with the body

Nigel

Thanks very much for the response and great tip about using manual focus which I hadn't thought about.

I impatiently ordered the 18-135mm STM lens and the difference is night and day smooth focus, not jumping out of focus or hunting about and virtually no motor noise being picked up by the mic. The majority of my video shooting will be family events where the new lens will make a huge difference in AF mode but with your tip of manual focus the noise goes and I am 344 + cost of uv filter better off- decisions, decisions!!

Images

The other option is the 40mm STM if you can get away with the single focal length - it's a great little lens all round.

The 650D is the first Canon DSLR that has continuous autofocus in video mode and live view, which Canon calls "Hybrid AF". This feature, intended mainly for video recording, is implemented through a new sensor technology in which certain pixels are dedicated to phase-detection AF (traditionally used in DSLRs) and others to contrast-detection AF (used in camcorders).