Default First Digital Camera

I am looking to purchase my first digital camera and have a budget of £200.
    I want a compact camera and just want to point and shoot but would like to be able to alter some settings manually.
    Which makes and models should I consider?
    Thank you.
    Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Undercroft View Post
    I am looking to purchase my first digital camera and have a budget of £200.
    I want a compact camera and just want to point and shoot but would like to be able to alter some settings manually.
    Which makes and models should I consider?
    Thank you.
    Norman.
    Your requirements can be met by any sub-£201 camera on the shelf of your local supermarket or general camera or electronic retailer. Hold them and if it feels comfortable, go for it. Every brand has some very nicer cameras at that price point or even up to £50 cheaper. In my opinion most of the cheaper cameras are not much, if at all, better than a good phone camera these days and, frankly, if all you want is a point-and-shoot you might as well consider a better phone rather than a dedicated camera.
    If however you want something more, go for a £200 camera with lots of scene and semi-automatic modes. But if you really aren't interested in fiddling about and learning how to use those controls, don't waste your money.
    My wife falls into the point-and-shoot category of user and she has no interest or patience whatsoever in using anything other than the fully automatic mode on any camera I give her to use. Nothing wrong with that….different strokes for different folk. [it drives me up the wall though]

Question

Hey guys just starting out here, and looking for one similar price range, maybe bit more. How much do you need to start to spend till you really see a difference from the £200 bracket??
    Father has a Canon EOS Rebel T2i, which i believe is one of the best from 2010 (or so he said) but don't know if that's just ignorance. Its currently broken, so wondering whether should get something completely different for own needs, or whether to get his repaired? Was looking at www.youcamfix.co.uk from those guys but not sure if worth it :/

Images

john lewis is offering the canon s110 for £199 with a2 year guarrantee which is agood buy