Default suggestions please.

Hi Folks,

We have a 12 year old who wants a digital SLR for Xmas as his first camera. Have a budget of about 200 and will be looking for a second hand model for him. Any suggestions would be gratefully received as we have absolutely no ideas. Anything we should be avoiding or looking out for?

Many thanks in advance

Images

Hi and welcome looking at the budget i would say you may be able to get a used canon 450d body but then you will need to add a lens too. the problem is how good is it

Images

Hi & welcome.

The Nikon D3100 is currently on Amazon for 280, I know it's a wee bit over your budget, but it comes with a kit lens and a 2 year warranty

Thanks for the responses folks, much appreciated. The D3100 is outside my price range (too many other kids to buy for as well) but Amazon have the Canon 450D used for about 200.

A friend also suggested a Nikon D80 as an alternative. Any thoughts on which might be best?

Images

its time to try them out to be honest to see which one suits you see how they feel, if it feels right then thats a long way to being right. remember when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits your needs

Images

I don't know enough about the Canon to comment, the D80 is still a fine camera, you could also look at the Nikon D5000