Images

Default The D600 superceded in a year.

Barely one year after the launch of the D600, Nikon announces the D610. You don't get time to break in your new camera before it is superceded. I would be miffed if I had bought one.

Why? Why would you be miffed that is? If you were happy with the camera, why would you be miffed if a new version became available? You'd have bought what you bought at the price you paid and its form, function and performance doesn't alter just because a new model becomes available. It's not as if it self-destructs as soon as a new model hits the shops.

Images

You are correct on all points Huw, where I would be miffed is if I had bought this model as a continuous progression to a top notch camera, its saleability and second hand value have plummeted. many people follow this ethos, Me I buy and use till it breaks, my oldest camera is due its 34th birthday soon now thats value for money.....Regards Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hartley353 View Post
    You are correct on all points Huw, where I would be miffed is if I had bought this model as a continuous progression to a top notch camera, its saleability and second hand value have plummeted. many people follow this ethos, Me I buy and use till it breaks, my oldest camera is due its 34th birthday soon now thats value for money.....Regards Mike.
    Confucius, he say, new camera with more technobollox hiding behind every corner. That is 'progress' Grasshopper.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 10-10-13 at 09:34 AM.

Images

I just wish progress would slow down, I can't run fast enough to keep up at my venerable age. Photography is supposed to be a staid pursuit.

Nobody has to 'keep up' [with the Jones's?].
    I'm in a different situation I think, because I have only got into photography late in life and therefore I have only my first lot of cameras apart from one, which I exchanged because it didn't suit me. I have a little collection of cameras now, the oldest of which is my first well-used camera ever which is a TZ6 Panasonic compact.
    At the current time I cannot foresee me ever changing them. They are satisfying to use and take great photos in their own way and dependant on my skill, so why would I need to change? If it ain't broke, it ain't going to be fixed.

Images

Mike I suspect in this case the D600 was superceded because of a problem with oily deposits on the sensor(no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong) the only other difference or advance with the new model I know of, is the "silent mode" operation. Personally I think Nikon should have recalled all of the D600's and made modifications, but suffice to say all who did purchase the orignal model wil be covered by the excellent 24 month warranty.
    For those thinking of buying a D600 there is now the question of "Should I buy a D600 at a bargain price, or spend another 800 for the D610 and eliminate and possible problems". In this case I would concur with Mike, I really wouldn't be too pleased buying a product that loses value in such a short time and in such a manner.

As soon as you buy any new camera, especially a very recently introduced model, you will lose big money. For one thing 20% of its retail is VAT. For another, as sure as eggs is eggs, the selling price will soon drop in the shops.
    There is nothing wrong with the shutter on the D600 apart from some excess lube on the shutter of earlier models as far as I've heard. No big deal and not likely to put people who are in the market for used examples in this league off the model I'd have thought.
    If you want an investment that is relatively safe, that won't lose too much value over time, leave your money in the bank. If you want a tool to do a photographic job, the D600 must be a contender for many people, both new and used. It is no less attractive just because there is a newer model, surely.
    The pattern usually is that there will steep initial depreciation, then a slow decline to a point where the price holds steady for quite a while, until the product becomes really stale after three or four generations of 'improved' models. It could even be that the D600 becomes something of a cult classic.

Have you any evidence that the D600 will depreciate faster than normal for such a relatively niche product?

However, it's easy for me to say, because I have not purchased a D600, but I've bought a heck of a lot of equipment over the years, big and small, and they have all lost value. At least it is not a new car.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 13-10-13 at 04:36 PM.