Thread: Nikon D3100

Images

Default Nikon D3100

I see the Nikon D3100 is on sale in Argos now, and would like to upgrade my P&S to a DSLR. Is this a good choice? Also, what lenses are available for it, or is the one that comes with it good enough? Thanks

Images

Hi welcome to the forum. The nikond3100
    Has been upgraded to the 3200, but it is still a great entry level
    Camera, and is at a good price. As for lenses the 18__55 is a good kit lens and will get you started, once you have it for a while though you will want to get better lenses depending on the type of photos your shooting good luck... Graham

Images

Thanks Graham. If I get the camera, I can get 70 off a 400-odd telephoto zoom lens if I buy them together, is it worth making the initial outlay or should I wait to see if the kit lens is good enough for a while? Are all Nikon lenses able to fit onto it, or just certain ones?

Images

Hi Daniel.
    Any Nikon DSLR lens work to a certain extent, the AF and the AI type lenses will work on a d3100 but they won't auto focus, only the AFS type lenses will auto focus.

The 18-55 lens is a great kit lens but you will soon be looking for a lens with more zoom or a macro lens.I have one and never use it, also the 18-55 lens can be picked up second hand really cheaply... Graham