Default Advice on a fast AF compact

I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks, and right now I have a canon dSLR (one of the rebels, about 10-12 years old) and I just ordered the Olympus TG2 for underwater/beach pictures. My problem is that while I LOVE how fast the dSLR is, I don't really want to carry it around the ship all the time. I would love something I can fit in my pocket and take decent pictures. And frankly I just use it as a fast point and shoot...I've come to find out I"m not very good at artistic pictures

My hang up has been the speed of the compact's. I get so frustrated at how long it can take to snap a picture, or focus on a target with the older point and shoots. I know I can't get dSLR or mirrorless speeds, but something as close as possible would be great.

So my search is for something around 3-400$ US, altho I could go up to 500 if something was head and shoulders better. As said focus and photo speed is important. The other two thoughts are decent low light/indoor function and decent zoom...My current walk around lens on the dSLR (I only have 2 lenses honestly) is a sigma 18-200 (I think it's 18), and would like to keep that zoom range at least. Most seem to go over that, to about 20x

Right now I'm looking at the Fuji Finepix F900EXR given that it seems to have a very fast autofocus and shot to shot speed, plus it is 300$.

I considered the Sony RX100, but it's a bit pricier and lacks the zoom range I wanted. I've read you can crop it out given it's high quality but I wasn't sure HOW much you can do that and still be better than a longer zoom range. And again, it's pretty out of budget.

Lastly, and this is probably not the best choice but I'm intrigued since I love the android OS and have a galaxy s4 and nexus 7 tablet, is the Samsung galaxy cameras, the GC110 and GC120 (I would get wireless only tho).

I'm open to recommendations! I've read for the last 2 or 3 nights about this and keep going in circles!

Thanks!

Images

hi and welcome i would try the the olympus it maybe all you need

The sticking point is your requirement for at least a 20x zoom, because long zooms and fast autofocus tend to be mutually exclusive - they kind of cancel each other out. You'd be better of with a compact with a shorter zoom range but a wider maximum aperture. For example, the Panasonic Lumix LX7 (only 3.8x, but max f/1.4), Lumix LF1 (7.1x and max f/2.0, and a viewfinder), Canon S110 (5x zoom, max f/2.0), Olympus XZ2 (4x zoom, max f/2.0) or Nikon P330 (5x zoom, max f/1.8) You'd get better image quality too from their larger sensors, especially in low light. These are all good cameras but the Canon S110 really is a peach.
    If you really do need a long zoom (and you should think about how many pictures you actually take beyond about 100mm on your DSLR) then the Panasonic TZ40 is as fast as any, has a 20x zoom, though I can't say if its faster than the F900 EXR.
    I'd forget the Samsung Galaxy Camera - speed is not its forte at all.