Default Nikon D3200 or Panasonic Lumix G5

Hi,

Some advice please. I've just qualified for my long service award at work and now have approx 350 to spend on something. I've decided to begin photography as a hobby so i've been scouring the market to see what is available. I've only ever used a compact camera so whether it be a DSLR or CSC - its all new to me.

Given my love of country walking I would say that 80% of my shots are likely to be landscape. Having looked around at various options I've narrowed my choice down to either the Nikon D3200 or Panasonic Lumix G5. I've handled them both and obviously the Panasonic is smaller and lighter. However, when I look at various reviews/websites etc each of the cameras has its pro's over the other.

I'm sure I can't go wrong with either but I really would appreciate some advice as to what is the best for landscape photography. If there is little difference then I would probably opt for the Panasonic due to its lower size/weight.

Thanks in advance

Anybody?

It is a very risky business, offering buying advice to people. What if they buy what you recommend and hate it? Oh dear!

Anyhow, FWIW I don't think that the difference in image quality is significant. The Nikon 'might' focus faster in poor light in low contrast situations but it is probably not significant. I can only compare my G6 to my other cameras, which includes a Nikon D5000 and I must say that I personally prefer the features and video capability of the mirrorless and SLT [Sony] cameras to traditional SLR's. But your milage may vary.

The problem you may have, unless you buy a dual lens kit, is that you will almost certainly need more than one lens and good lenses can be expensive. That is the reason many people buy high end bridge cameras like the Panasonic FZ200 which, although it has a small sensor, has most of the other attributes expected of a high end SLR or mirrorless.

Now I've confused you further no doubt. Sorry.