Hi

Please can anyone suggest what camera I should buy.

> Budget
> * What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
Not sure, say: GBP 150 - 450 (at a pinch)

> Size
> * What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
Must be EXTREMELY 'pocket-able'. I want it to be in my pocket without noticing. As much as humanly possible this means flat sides with nothing sticking out. No big fat lenses that wont retract.

> Features
> How many megapixels will suffice for you?
Not sure... 8 to 10+
Pixels are NOT super-important to me.
Much more important is quality of the CCD, i,.e. the colour accuracy and the ability to not lose detail in bright highlights and dark shadows...

> * What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
I need a focal length equivalent on 35mm SLR of slightly wide angle (say 35mm) to at at least 150mm, ideally perhaps 250+ mm
A good-ish telephoto is the most important.
I am assuming that this means that image stabilisation will be important.

> * How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

> Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
Not very fussed.

> General Usage
>
> * What will you generally use the camera for?
Portraits, insects (e.g. butterflies), landscape/views.

> * Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
Sometimes

> Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Yes

> Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
Only occasionally

> Miscellaneous
>
> Are there particular brands you like or hate?
I like Canon. Then Nikon. Maybe Fujifilm. Possibly Lumix, Sony. Dont very much like Richoh, Pentax, Olympus

> Are there particular models you already have in mind?
- Canon PowerShot G1 X - but doesnt look 'pocketable' enough.
- Canon Powershot G15 - but only goes to focal length of 140mm, also not really pocketable enough
- Nikon Coolpix P7800 up to 200mm (equiv) ...?

Needs to be fairly easy to use with good ergonomics.

> (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
- Rotating LCD definitely a major bonus for covert portrait shots in social situations.
- Image stabilisation (presumably this is important for long focal length shots)
- Weather proof not necessary
- Flash not necessary
- removable lens would be a nice bonus

Any recommendations?

J