Question DSLR options - much of a muchness?

Hi all

About to purchase my first DSLR, initially to expand on my photography hobby that's reached its limit with compact & iPhones, but with a distant eye on something more professional in the future. I wouldn't say I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to photography, both in terms of artistic/composition elements and technical elements of the craft, obviously still a lot to learn. Also, keen on having high quality HD video recording. (Sorry for the waffle, thought this background detail might help direct the advice of you fine people on the actual question that's to follow!)

Basically, I'm in two minds about a. buying a cheaper body to spend more on additional/better lenses, or b. go for the latest body and work with the kit lens for a long time until I can save for additional/better lenses. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm essentially choosing between two levels within Canon's entry-level models ('Entry' entry-level and 'Mid-Range' entry-level, if you will!)...

'Entry' entry-level
    Canon EOS 100D - latest model, close to 700D in price and spec
    Canon EOS 1100D - super cheap, tech too old? Lacking in some specs?

'Mid-range' entry-level
    Canon EOS 700D - latest model
    Canon EOS 650D - discontinued, nearly identical to 700D but available for less
    Canon EOS 600D - cheaper still, tech too old?

The above is the (very) basic summary of my research thus far, obviously not quite so black and white but hopefully illustrates my thinking! Would really appreciate the advice from guys in the know on this and which model you think would be best for my needs, apologies if this is covering some old ground!

Thank you in advance.

Images

Hi and welcome the first thing i would do is for get about entry level if you want to go further so take out the 1100d. of the rest the 100d is a smaller body so think about handling it. so that leaves the rest and to be honest theres not a lot of difference but if you want to future proof then it has to be the 700d. remember that with this range there will another model next year ( wonder 750d). also look at nikon and there is pentax and sony.

get a short list and then go and try them make sure they feel right dont settle for i will get used to it. when you buy a DSLR you buy onto a system so make sure that system suits your needs

Since you sensibly consider video to be important you are on the right lines with Canon. However the Sony A65 has very many better features for video while also being a superb stills camera.
    Have a look at them all and just chose the one that's right for you within a sensible, but not too restrictive budget.

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcome the first thing i would do is for get about entry level if you want to go further so take out the 1100d. of the rest the 100d is a smaller body so think about handling it. so that leaves the rest and to be honest theres not a lot of difference but if you want to future proof then it has to be the 700d. remember that with this range there will another model next year ( wonder 750d). also look at nikon and there is pentax and sony.

get a short list and then go and try them make sure they feel right dont settle for i will get used to it. when you buy a DSLR you buy onto a system so make sure that system suits your needs
    Thanks wave, I haven't really looked at other brands - not really a concrete reason why I haven't (!) - but maybe I should check them out. Any recommendations in line with my initial post e.g. models at similar levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Williams View Post
    Since you sensibly consider video to be important you are on the right lines with Canon. However the Sony A65 has very many better features for video while also being a superb stills camera.
    Have a look at them all and just chose the one that's right for you within a sensible, but not too restrictive budget.
    Hi Huw, thanks for the reply, I will take a look at the Sony you mention!

Images

Hi for me its about feeling right and ease of the menu system. i am a canon shooter they just feel right for. if video is important then the stm lenses are the way to go. but do look at other brands sony does do good video