Hybrid View

Question Sorry - total Newb question!

I've acquired a Canon DSLR second hand as I've always fancied trying my hand at a bit of amateur photography as a hobby.

Things is I only bought a camera body and need a lens. I just want what would be the standard kit lens to get me started until I find my feet, especially since I can pick one up on eBay for 50 or so.

As such I'm looking at an EF-S (my DSLR is an APSC sensor) 18-55mm zoom.

My question is - what on earth is the difference between the following two Canon lenses? I can't really see any except that one appears to be slightly larger than the other?!

http://www.canon.co.uk/For%5FHome/Pr....6%5FIS%5FSTM/

http://www.canon.co.uk/For%5FHome/Pr...5.6%5FIS%5FII/

I'm pretty sure this is a ridiculous question, so I apologise in advance, but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something in my beginner naivety!

Thanks!

Images

hi and welcome i will try and answer your question the stm version is real better for taking movies as it is a stepper motor and it does not extend when focusing. the other lens is has a micro motor. both have IS.so in short the stm is better for movies. there is a review here on the 700d and one on dpreview i would look at them

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    hi and welcome i will try and answer your question the stm version is real better for taking movies as it is a stepper motor and it does not extend when focusing. the other lens is has a micro motor. both have IS.so in short the stm is better for movies. there is a review here on the 700d and one on dpreview i would look at them
    Thanks for that - would never have figured it out myself!!!

So am I right in thinking the second lens (no e STM) doesn't have any real benefit over the first other than being more compact?

I'm not really interested in movies, so I'd be better leaving the STM lens and having the more compact of the two right?

Thanks for your help!!

Images

from what i have read the stm lens internal focuses so it doe not extend the non stm does extend, so it will be down to personnel choice and price difference. you maybe better off looking at a different lens but again that depends on your budget