Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post In at the deep end!

Hello all.

Yes another novice here on the subject of buying the right camera & lenses. I have always wanted to get into photography ever since leaving school. However, due to bringing up my family & buying houses & cars etc, I could not really afford the luxury of purchasing photographic equipment until now! As my family has flown the nest so to speak & one does not have the worry of a mortgage anymore & also the fact I have so much time on my hands as I am now retired & will put my heart & soul into the subject.

I have spent the last six months reading all about digital photography & equipment. All the websites & books I have viewed & read suggest I should start by purchasing an entry level DSLR camera & lenses. However, my point is that deep in my heart I just know I want a full frame camera with the more expensive lenses. Some people think I have trying to run without learning to walk first & Pathans I am!

If I purchased the entry level camera & lenses then in two or three years time I just know I would go out and purchase the semi-pro equipment anyway so my point is simply why not jump in with both feet at the start & in the long term save money!

Here is the main equipment I have on my mind to purchase, so would love to hear from anybody with their views simply because it would be nice to get other people's opinions!

Camera - Nikon D600

The following lenses:

Portrait - Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G

Landscapes - Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

Macro - Nikkor AF-S Micro 60mm f/2.8G ED

Wide-Angle - Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm f/4G ED

Images

Hi and welcome theres nothing wrong with what you want and i always say to people dont go entry level but you can still go aps-c and have a very good camera. what i would do is get a short list of cameras and go and try them see how they feel, if it feels right then its a long way to being right make sure you like the menu systems and button placement. good luck

Hi & thanks for your input. Yes I have looked at the following camera's: Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS 70D & Nikon D7100? I have read many articles on the subject of APS-C v Full Frame & each one always says if you can afford the full frame then go for it simply for the quality of the pictures. However, I still have not made a final decision as to what to purchase. I am going to spend most days going out to take pictures on Landscapes & Outdoor Macros. Also very interested in Portraits in & out of doors. Benn waiting to do this for over forty years now so really going all out to do as much as possible. It would be very interesting to hear what camera equipment you have?

Images

hi i have a t2i/550d with a sigma 17-70os and a 70-200Lis f4 and nifty 50.

Images

Hi Rob. There is nothing wrong with buying the best you can afford. With modern cameras there is no point in starting with cheap equipment and following a progression through to the top equipment it will only waste money. The equipment you have started with will stand you in good stead, but if you want to do oudoors Macro I would go for a 105mm lens, and look at non Nikon products as well. Also I would add a good flash and a tripod to my list....Regards Mike.

Photographing outdoors will normally require a weather resistant camera and lenses in the UK. Don't get too fixated with full frame though, because unless you print to massive poster size and pixel-peep you won't find much difference in picture quality. What you will find is that a full frame will have a shallower depth of field for the same aperture setting and wide open as a smaller sensor size. But that can be a disadvantage as well as an advantage and overall it is overstated as an advantage in my opinion. The most important aspect is the lenses you choose.

With your budget and aspirations my personal choice for weatherproof quality cameras would be the Pentax K5 IIS if video is unimportant. But since video is very important for digital image capture I would certainly choose the smaller and lighter professional Panasonic GH3 with the professional quality pair of fixed aperture lenses. The lenses will cost about 1000 each on top of the body price but you will have almost all your bases covered with a kit that you can easily carry everywhere. And that is the secret of taking brilliant images; having the camera with you for when the opportunity arises.
    Have a look at these videos for a taster. I don't have a CH3 but it would be my choice in the blink of an eye if I was in the market for that standard of kit tomorrow. If weatherproofing was less a priority than features and price it would be the G6 and possibly some cheaper prosumer lenses.

Last edited by Huw Williams; 25-08-13 at 08:53 PM.

Here is the second video with a very strong view on the GH3 compared to professional rivals. I understand that you hanker for a full frame DSLR but please do consider the bulk verses the portability and advantage/disadvantage ratios.

Sorry, its me again. Too late to edit above posts but do look at the first video in Youtube itself at 720P HD quality, full screen. How much bigger would you want to print than your screen size? The videos incorporated into the slideshow have not been recorded at the highest quality that these cameras allow, far from it, but they are still quite acceptable. Both cameras are well capable of broadcast quality video and many a proper commercial film has been shot on inferior cameras to these.

The G6 should have the same picture quality but has focus peaking and a few other features added on top of the ones found on the GH3. They have touchscreens and really excellent electronic viewfinders that give many advantages to the user over optical viewfinders, as I know from using my Sony camera. The G6 adds Near Field Communication to the wi-fi and geotagging as well. NFC will be very useful for transferring pictures to your phone or tablet in the field and to send them home or to social or picture media sites through 4G when it becomes more widespread.

Come to think of it the other non-Canikon camera you should consider would be the A65 or its successor or the more compact NEX6.

That's me done you'll be glad to hear.
    Last edited by Huw Williams; 25-08-13 at 10:22 PM.

Hi Mike. Many thanks for your input regarding my intended Nikon equipment purchase above. I have flashes & tripods on my list but did not include them here as I did not want to 'bore' people to much. I have now finally decided to go & purchase the above Nikon equipment.

Over the last six months I have read so much about photography & now just can't wait to get out there & start shooting so I can then start to put into practice all I have read so wish me luck. Regards, Rob

Hi Rob

I don't see anything wrong with starting as you mean to go on, as you say you've waited 40 years to do this. If you don't mind I'll make a few points.

First point is the Nikon 60mm macro is a great lens for shooting flowers and Butterflies, but if you want to shoot insects smaller than a Bee you will need a 105 macro at least. The good thing about the 105 is it also doubles as a great portrait lens, this may save you in the long run.. My next point is about the 70-300 lens, I have this lens and have to say it is a great lens, I use it on either a D7000 or D90 with the crop sensor gives around 450mm,on a FX camera you would lose this. I would look at the Sigma 120 -400 mm it costs a wee bit more but you may find it more satisfying. Hope this helps ... Graham
    Last edited by graham_c; 26-08-13 at 07:27 PM.